Good family dogs ? Max weight 25 - 30 lbs ish lol .

Looking for a small family dog but cant have to big Im sure the complex would notice if it was a 30 - 40 pounder but to be on the safe side lol
any ideas?

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pets

• i am a vet tech an i would say that yes basset hounds would be one of the best breeds to get but they do get nigger than 30 pounds. i would say that terriers are nippers if you do not train them, poodles are good but are one person dog and usually are not fond of children, i would say the best choice for a small family pet is a boston terrier.

Answer by jaevenmomma at 5:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Pugs are supposed to be great family dogs, good with kids, and a goofy personality. I have never owned one, but I know several people who have, and I've never heard a bad thing about them.

Answer by kikikiki at 4:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• long haired dachsunds are adorable dogs, and very friendly! Also so are Scottish Terriers!

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• kiki you are right...forgot the pug...hehe...the ONLY problem you can have with them is they can have breathing problems...saw that on animal planet :))

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The only thing about scotties is that they are terriers, and terriers can be nippy. So terriers are not generally recommended if you have smaller children around the house. Beagles are supposed to be great too.

Answer by kikikiki at 4:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• thanks ladies :)

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• bassett hounds r adorable and they are mellow and friendly this is my favorit small dog if they were my thing this would be the breed i get

Answer by rainmommy at 8:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Shetland sheep dogs are great! i am bias though...

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was a dog groomer for almost 20 years and I quickly learned which dogs do best .....where. I will always vote for a miniture poodle if you have close neighbors and live in a "complex". They are not too loud and are very smart. You can train them to even do their potty in a cat box or pee mat.

Answer by Schaleese at 10:10 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• shetland sheepdogs are great but if in a complex like apts i wouldnt suggest it. they need LOTS of exercise. they're so darn cute tho. beagles are cute but may be kinda noisy. the smaller the dog it seems like the more they bark haha. are you opposed to checkin out animals at a shelter? a lot of times ppl take puppies there, so you know they're not biters that got dropped off.

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2009