Postpartum hair loss - still?

My son was born 1/31 -- when he was 5 months old my hair started falling out, and now that he's over 7 months it's *still* falling out. Does this sound normal? I've read that typically hair loss starts around 3 months and lasts around 3 months - so maybe I was just late with all this?

I have had my thyroid checked and they say it's "normal" - but I'm going back to the doctor next Friday to ask about this hair loss. Just wondering when you all experienced your hair loss (if you did) and how long did it last? Did you start losing hair later? Were you still losing hair when your baby was 7 months?

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 7:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just read something about this LOL
    Its still happening to me too
    But what I read said that hte increase horomones stopped it from falling out bad during pregnancy so for the next year it is possible to have slight hair loss
    that made me sad reading that lol
    I feel like a dog shedding its winter coat LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• On average a human sheds 100+ hairs on a daily basis. since you've stored up those hairs over a period of 8-9 months, you have a lot of shedding to do.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My twins are 3.5 months and I shed like a maniac. I cant remember how long I have shed after each pregnancy but I'm thinking I've lost a whole lot more hair since I started having kids!! Not from stress (LOL) but it almost seems like I started shedding with my first and then never stopped. But I've gotta say I've never shed this much before. Our shower has to be unclogged weekly. I know. Gross. But its that much hair. I can pull out hands full.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 10:10 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I can pull it out by the handfuls after I shower - but Sam is 7 months! I guess that's OK...I've only been shedding since he was 5 months, so it's been 2 months total. But still...it's unsettling, and when I read that it's usually over by now I panic.

Of course most babies are born 40 weeks or before, and mine were 42 & 41 weeks...so maybe I'm just late with everything!
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i didn't start shedding until 7 months- i am on the mini pill, so the hormones were a little late to catch up. at 9 months, i pull out two handfuls a day! luckily i've always had thick hair, so now it looks normal;)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:39 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My hair was broken, extremely dry, nor falling out at the root, but at about 1/2 inch from my head. It was awful and didn't stop until my daughter was 1 1/2. Then I got a short haircut and got pregnant again. It didn't happen with my next pregnancy. In fact, my hair got much nicer with my last one.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2009