how do i get my son to stop taking a pacifier?

my son has taken a pacifier all his life he's 17 months now. people tell me if i let him continue to use it for too long it will mess up his teeth. he won't go to bed without it. we only have one left (he's lost all the others) and ive swore i wouldnt buy any more. what will be an easy way to get him to forget about it?

jaylensmommy321

Asked by jaylensmommy321 at 8:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Quit giving it to him...not being a smartass but the sooner you stop, the sooner he will realize that he doesn't need it...the first few days will be hard at nap and bedtime but it will pass.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:03 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Agree with Jademom07.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• agree - just take it away. find a new bedtime routine. Replace the pacifier which is bad for his teeth wtih a toy or blanket that he can cuddle with. If totally necessary, allow him to fall asleep in his bed with tv on - only if necessary or this too will become a habit. But do find a way to get rid of the pacifier.
    Lauriesmommy

Answer by Lauriesmommy at 8:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My kids loved their pacifier until they got to be about 2 years and then I cut a hole in the tip of it and guess what?They threw it and didn't want it anymore!Both kids did this and it works.Another mom gave me this advice years ago.Hope it helps!
    shannon2206

Answer by shannon2206 at 8:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• DS#1 was about 16 months when we got him off his paci, and he was terribly dependent on it (always had it in his mouth, and sometimes one or two in his hand!). At about 15 months, I started only letting him have it in bed, then after about a week of that, he had to actually be lying down in bed to get it (and if he sat up, I took the paci. He was a booger with taking naps, so doing that helped a lot). One day, after 3 or 4 weeks, he lost his last paci. I dreaded it, but decided that it must be time! It took 2 days of screaming himself to sleep (I would sit by his bed in the floor to comfort him), but it was ONLY 2 days. He was fine after that. Kids adapt fast, keep that in mind. :)
    dougiesmom

Answer by dougiesmom at 8:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yeah we had a big problem with my son, so I told him can't put it in your mouth you can hold it but if you use it I'm gonna cut it off. I would show him the sissors. Then the next day he came to me gave it to me and said cut it and I asked him are you sure he said yeah and I cut it off, well i had him help me cut it. We threw it away and he was done with it.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 8:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Our son also had one paci in his mouth and one or two in hand. As he lost them we told him we would not buy any more. When he was down to one, I looked at it one day and told him it was dirty and to throw it in the trash. He did and never ask for one again.
    mach5

Answer by mach5 at 9:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Take it away. You're the parent. He'll learn to adjust.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The day before their first birthday, is when the binkys went bye bye for my kids. I cut a hole in the end of it, they couldn't get the suction going, and they didn't want it anymore. My oldest was more attached to his binky than my youngest; he got quite ornery when he couldn't suck on his binky that day. The next day though, he tried to suck on it, and when he realized he couldn't, he just put it down and I threw it in the trash and that was the end of it. My youngest wasn't as attached so I probably couldn't have gotten away with just pitching it and he wouldn't have cared, but I cut the hole anyway, and he couldn't suck on it and was like "Okay, whatever" and didn't even bother with it anymore, so I just put it the garbage and that was it. Getting rid of the binkys was one of the easiest things I ever did.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:28 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My middle son and youngest had a paci. My middle one was almost 3 before we could get him off of it. We just finally told him that big boys didn't need them. He wasn't happy with this but once he lost the last one we refused to buy anymore and after about a week of him asking for one he just finally quit. As for my youngest he was 3 months hen he stopped taking his.
    lisa101

Answer by lisa101 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 11, 2009