Whatelse can I do with her?

My 6 year old girl (1st. grade) has terrible handwritting I know she is just a child but I went to her open house last night and there were atleast 3 that had writing ledgebly, I was alittle envious...but we are going to work on it even the teacher said she would help as well...I am not too worried about it bc I know she will eventually get it I just don't know what else to do or where else to get more info on writting..

Are you going through the samething moms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I went through this when my son was in first grade, First I would have the school test her to make sure she does not need extra help with fine motor skills. They will let you know if she is at grade level or behind it. They will also be able to give you some ideas on what to do.

One thing I learned was to make him go slow. Sometimes his brain would work faster then his hands and this caused him to have messy handwriting. Try telling her to slow down a little. Don't worry to much about it right now. As long as her teacher is working with her she will learn.

Also, try not to get mad at her. I know when I first trying to help my son I would get so frustrated that it made things worse. I had to take a step back and also have her try and read to you what she writes. If it doesn't look the same to you then read her what you think it says. This might help as well.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• encourage her to start writing in a journal everynight. she can write about whatever she wants, and be as messy as she wants since no one is going to read it (unless she wants you to).
    it helps with handwriting and it helps her express how she feels better
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:00 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• we gave prizes for great letters. We my first grader came home I would pull out a page and say this looks like a good one, and I go over it and see how many letters or words I found that I thought were good! he then got a prize, some times it was a pennie for each one I found or a piece of candie. He looked forward to it and tried hard to do well. In my book his writing was never very neat and to s p r e d out to read but when he started writing in cursive in the 2nd grade it was AWSOME and as his teacher pointed out that happenes a lot!

jjcaj

Answer by jjcaj at 11:31 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I had my oldest boy practice with chalk on the sidewalk, thick chalk to start then thinner chalk as fine motor skills improve. If you are allowed after chalk practice gets good have him print with a pencil on the sidewalk, then move to lined paper, it will get better as he gets better control of muscles. Also tic-tac-toe and dots are great games to play with him to develope this skills.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 12:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• just tell her to write slowly and have her write a page of something . she can copy a page from a book . or she can invent a story and she can even write you a letter if she wants .
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• if she can braid hair or tie shoes then her motor skills are fine. she just needs to take her time. focus on what she can do well instead of what she cant do well. she will catch up. What worked best for me was to have her make birthday/ holiday/ greeting cards for the family with words. also she can write with glue and then sprinkle with glitter. or use cool gel pens. Girls like that stuff.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 12:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• just give it time. she will def. catch on. Just one thing never compare her to another child everyone learns at different rates. take care and best of luck
    Lovebugto2

Answer by Lovebugto2 at 12:15 AM on Sep. 18, 2009