Did you grow up tieing your shoes?

I did, well now a days they have the velcro straps which I believe helps the child not to learn to tie their shoes...True?

So what kind of fun thing did you do to make enjoyable for child to learn to tie their shoe, my dh thinks I baby my elem. kids I tell him I know but I really don't mean to it is that we are running out of time and don't want them to be late for school. He's like well you need to wake up extra early and practice (he was mad) I see his point but I'd rather practice on a day that we are not doing too much of anything.
Thanks Ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son caught on quick to tie because he wore sneakers almost daily. But his twin sister didn't get it until over a year or so later. She wore mostly shoes, and flip flops in the summer, plus like u said a lot of sneakers come with the velcro now, especially the girly ones like she wears. So whenever she needed it done, I'd do it. Then one day my DH put his foot down and told her that she can't wear flip flops until she learns how to tie shoestrings and it worked. But this was just in spring of this year and she's 7 so she was way behind her peers.

And yes, I grew up tying my own shoestrings.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 9:44 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yeah, they have velcro shoes for like 10 year olds now or something. Ours had all velcro but I made him get tie shoes. He learned to tie at 5 , but when daddy was around he would only put on the velcro shoes. I couldn't WAIT to get rid of those things. Now he has ALL tie. None of the kids in his class last year could tie (K and a few were already 7!) so he got stuck tying everyone else's shoes because they found out he could and quit going to the teacher. :/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Don't practice in the morning - practice in the afternoons for 10-15mins after school. Make them do it as part of their homework.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Velcro is easier for anyone to be honest... And it's also safer, as you don't have to worry about the strings coming untied and them tripping on them. Just sayin.

My son is 4 and he is learning to tie his shoes, I just work with him everytime I put his shoes on him.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Heh. I grew up wearing cowboy boots, and so do my kids. My son won't wear shorts because you don't wear boots with shorts. My son does know how to tie his tennis shoes, even though he never wears them, and my daughter is learning. She's actually learning to tie laces on her favorite dolls' tennis shoes.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 4:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• my son is in second grade we havent started learning how to tie yet because he has trouble with fine motor skills
    well try on his next pair of shoes.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 6:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yes i did.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yes. it took me til i was in second grade to get it completely right. I couldnt pinch tight enough i guess. I hate tying my shoes. It irritates me when they get loose or i have to tie in a knot. and then try to untie that knot. my son wears velcro and he also has shoes like strings but are elastic. they slip on and off. I love it!
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I learned to tie my shoes at age 4.
    My children do not own velcro shoes. I hate them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• one little loop
    what do you do
    wrap the lace around
    and pull it through
    now you made bow
    and tied your shoe

We practice with the belt on his bath robe and then move to moms shoes since his do have the dreaded velcro. I borrowed it from a kids cartoon but I don't know which one. I just liked the poem and it made it easy for him to remember.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009