Any tips for traveling from Massachusetts to England with an almost 20 month old?

I am planning on buying him a seat and bringing his carseat on the plane but is there any way to get around lugging a huge carseat around while we are there? We are not renting a car. Also, it's a pretty short trip (leaving Oct 23rd at night and coming back on the 27th in the morning. How do I help my son to adjust to the time change? We are going with a group and there will be a few group outings. Thanks for any help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Travel

• Wouldn't you need his carseat if you're going on "outings?" But I suppose you could just leave his carseat in your hotel room or wherever you're staying...

He'll be fine with the time change. Children respond more to light than to the actual time. And also he'll sleep a lot of the way on the plane.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 8:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• A baby backpack is much more practical for traveling though a carseat on the plane is essential

Answer by rkoloms at 3:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• You need to make sure your car-seat will be the one what airlines accept.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• You can rig your carseat with straps so you can comfortably travel through the airport with it on your shoulder(s).

As far as the time change, I wouldn't try to adjust him at all. Keep him on eastern standard time. It's such a short trip, that it's not worth all the hassle you'll have to deal with when you get back home (having to re-adjust him to the time zone, etc). My 14 dd and I are traveling to WA from NY next week , and I have to intention of adjusting her schedule to the new time zone. We're only going for 6 days.

A backpack carrier would work great for those outings.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• You don't have to bring the car seat on the plane if you are not going to need it at your destination.

You can buy or rent a CARES, which is a harness that is FAA approved that will keep him more secure in his seat.

If you really want to bring the car seat, then get the GoGo wheels. It is a trolley to transport your car seat and you can even use it as a stroller, although it can get a bit dirty and it would be heavy.

Bring a collapsible stroller or a baby carrier depending on how big your 20 mth old is.

When we travel back to Australia we try to get the kids to sleep on the plane. The day we arrive (6am) we normally try to keep them awake until at least 4pm. 6pm is better and then let them go to bed. They normally sleep later the first few days but are on the right schedule for sight seeing etc.

Have fun.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:00 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My son did that flight at 15 months and 23 months and he was absolutely fine. All the traveling knocks off their internal clocks so much that when you tell them it's time to sleep they have no way of knowing whether it is or not so they just trust you and sleep.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2009