in comparison to say...five years ago or more, would you say the general population did not "get it"

when it came to life in general like accountability, being responsible, and being a good neighbor. And now, it does seem like more of the general population "gets it" in regards to just being a better person overall. Taking into consideration how many have lost so much, the war, and better education with parenting and protection of children, being faced with forced money savings and more frugal living.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:22 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do think some were living beyond their means and people who have lost jobs and home may know realize thats not going to work. I think a lot of people have started paying attention to what goes on in the government though. They know this is their money they are frittering away and they are suffering because of it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't think all that many more people get it. There are large sections of the country right now where people who are not directly impacted by layoffs and pay freezes think it's all just a big exaggeration and people being lazy. Every day you can find a question here about PA with no shortage of people piping up to tell them to stop being lazy and get a job, as if a job that pays a living wage is just waiting at McDonald's for anyone who asks (our McDonald's haven't hired anyone in ages, and if they ever do again it's min wage). And in the midst of all that, there are still millions who think we can just wiggle our nose and have the gov't fix healthcare, save the car companies, fix the environment and do it all for free.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:27 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would hope outside of cyberspace people would be better than what is reflected here.( assistance questions) Afterall, websites of social base tend to be nothing more than a place for people to act out on thoughts and feelings they have and desire to do, and are just too cowardly to do it in public or know they won't be able to get away with it without a big black eye.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I really hope that the majority of people are not like those here in CM.

In the real world, I see many people being good neighbors and helping each other out as much as possible.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I wouldnt say "majority", but I would definitely say because of this recession, those who took life for granted, spent the money they didnt have, and now are facing consequences of that, definitely had a slap of reality. It's just too bad that some of them had to learn the hard way, kwim?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2009