Is there a nice way to request specific help when my mom comes to stay with me after the baby comes?

I am really hoping that she will help with things like laundry, maybe some cooking and getting my older son off to school in the morning. I asked her to come because I want help, but I feel bad for requesting specific things from her. I don't want her to feel like a slave, but at the same time, I know there are some things I am just not going to feel like doing. Is there a nice was to ask what she intends on doing while she is here?

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 8:32 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm pretty sure she already plans on helping you with those things you mentioned. My mother and father have already told me that after the new baby gets here. My son will still have 2 months of school left before his summer vacation! But this is only because my SO works 300 miles away for 2 solid weeks. Good luck and congrats!
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 8:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I agree with the PP. But if there is something you really need or want her to do then just say 'hey mom, would you mind getting ___ ready for school in the morning? I am just not quite up to that yet.' Or 'Hey mom I noticed that ___was running low on pants. Would you mind starting a load? I would really appreciate it' or 'Hey Mom, Do you think you could handle dinner tonight? there is some___ in the freezer or ____in the pantry. You can just make what ever you think is best.' Just use your basic manner's. Remember she has been in your shoes already and hopefully knows that you would never take advantage of her being there to help. That's why she came.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yea i bet she will be like, what do you need dear? or she will see the laundry piling up and that's what she will do.

my MIL came and it was great because she did all the laundry and the dishes and stuff like that. she never did cook anything which i thought was really weird. i didn't feel right asking her to cook since she's my MIL. i think she felt like i didn't want her to cook though so i probably should have just asked her! she thinks i don't like her cooking i think just because she is more southern style-greasy food. i do like it but i usually fix less greasy stuff. lol.

it think since it's your mom, if she doesn't automatically ask you what you need, you could say, "mom could you please do the laundry while i breastfeed (or sleep! or whatever)?"
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My mom was so awesome when she came to help the first time. She totally let me take care of and bond with the new baby, and she cooked and cleaned. She lives in Mexico now so when she comes to stay she will probably come for a month. She was awesome when she came and stayed for a month with my sister too.
    stassy77

Answer by stassy77 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2009