Is there a nice was to ask my mom to do some specific things when she comes to help with the baby?

I am really hoping that she will help with things like laundry, maybe some cooking and getting my older son off to school in the morning. I asked her to come because I want help, but I feel bad for requesting specific things from her. I don't want her to feel like a slave, but at the same time, I know there are some things I am just not going to feel like doing. Is there a nice was to ask what she intends on doing while she is here?

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 8:32 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would just put a sign on the door that says "If you would like to hoffer help, here are some things that need done. This will help me bond with the new blessing and give me some time to recoup." then put a list of things on it that you would like to have done. If she doesn't get the hint, just say "Mom, I know you want to see the baby but could you throw a load of laundry in for me while I feed little one and then you can watch him while I grab a cat nap?"
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Maybe you could start by asking your mom to look after the baby so you could do the laundry. Then tell her that it is your turn to tend the baby so you could start with the dishes. One day of your mom observing what you do will give her a hint on what to do the next day. Sometimes it is not necessary to speak up. Moms are here to help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Just tell her you love that she is willing to come and help and anything she does will be appreciated but what will help you the most would be A, B and C! She's your Mom, she's been there and will understand.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• tell her what needs done most desperately(she will probably ask if you need anything)and ask if she could do one of those things while lo gets fed, and then she can watch lo while you do stuff. always worked when my mom came over to help- you get help with housework and she gets to play with a happy, fed baby. everyone wins.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:29 AM on Sep. 11, 2009