Hand-me-downs...

So I was thinking today that my older son will be the one giving his lil brother a ton of hand-me-downs...and then I started to worry that Jax (the younger one) might feel like he only gets second hand things while Gauge (the older one) gets new things. We keep everything like new and get rid of the crappy stuff but still...Anyone else done the hand-me-down thing? When should I stop or how can I avoid doing it to the point of him feeling like he gets nothing new?
I grew up only hand-me-downs until I got a job and started to buy my own things. And I always felt like my older siblings got all the new stuff (clothes, toys, shoes...) which sucked.

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 8:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The mixing of hand me downs and new stuff is great...also you can let him pick which handme downs he wants..they're new to him...u know...he may even want to have something his brother had..depending on their relationship.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Hand me downs are great and for the older one, do you go to yard sales? Same thing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My oldest only wears hand-me-downs. We have a friend who passes on clothing to us! I love it. It's part of life for the kids. I guess I have never worried about it. And it may never be an issue for your son. It never bothered me growing up, but my sister hated it! I guess just wait and see how your son responds.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Oh, no- I'm going to hand-me-downs. But I dont want to ONLY do hand-me-downs or OVER do them...And yes, we do yardsales but only for bigger items I don't see the point in paying 3094789283 dollars for. Unless theres something nice or new.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 8:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My younger son gets some handme downs from my older son. But I still purchase some new things for him. We don't use handme downs shoes at all because usually they are all beat up by the time he can wear them. My older son also gets handme downs from his older cousin. Even with all the handme downs we get...I like to keep their wardrobe fresh with a new stuff too.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have three sons and the younger two wear hand me downs, and my older one gets garage sale finds or thrift store clothes. It doesn't mean none of them ever get new clothes, but the all get "old" clothes. My middle son is usually pretty excited when he fits into something that used to be his older brothers. I know that will change (he's not quite 7), but for now I'll take advantage of it. My first two have different builds, so I end up having to buy different pants, so he gets new things there, and I will buy a few new shirts in the styles he likes. I think part of the key to making it not so bad is to make sure the clothes passed down are fairly classic in style.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have 2 boys who are 2 years apart and nearly every piece of clothes they own, BOTH of them, are hand me downs. My oldest gets hand me downs from friends, my youngest gets hand me downs from my oldest. Most of their clothes are either hand me downs or from thrift stores and yard sales. ( So are mine and my husbands, we hardly have anything brand new). My kids get excited when they get a bag of hand me downs. They're like "Yay, new clothes!!" They get a couple of brand new things at Christmastime from grandparents, like maybe some new blue jeans, nice shirts for church and they both get new tennis shoes every few months( they wear their tennis shoes completely out with playing so they're in too bad a shape to get passed down). You could always do that, new shoes every few months, and a couple of new things at Christmas and birthdays.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well, I liked handme downs growing up. So why not do a healthy mix of the two. Take shopping for a few new things, but also keep the and me downs for the bulk of the clothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My younger son gets hand me downs from his older brother, but we go through them so he can decide what he likes/doesn't like. And then I have to buy him different pants because he HAS to have slims and shoes the older one wears out. I buy him new stuff to mix in. He's 9 1/2 now and this still works. When he was younger he didn't know the difference between new/hand me down and he may object to the hand me downs when he gets older.
    I tend to buy them both the same amount of stuff, my younger son just ends up with more because he has his brother's stuff too.

Answer by missanc at 11:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• HAND ME DOWNS ARE AWSOME! HOWEVER HE NEEDS NEW THINGS TO. MAYBE HE NEEDS A NEW BIKE INSTEAD OF HIS BROTHER'S ONE YEAR. hE IS THE FIRST ONE TO GET THE NEW IPOD FOR HIS BIRTHDAY B4 ANY OF HIS BROTHERS AND SISTERS..........LITTLE THINGS LIKE THAT SHOUD B WHATS NEEDED TO LET HIM KNOW HES LOVED AND DESERVES NEW THINGS TO!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 11:58 AM on Sep. 11, 2009