He won't talk!

Well he gibbers a lot and it seems like hes trying to talk, just not doing very well at it...He's 14 months and says "Dada" and "MaMa"...Thats it. How can I teach him to say words?? I was thinking about flash cards...But then again, he's my 1st child and I've never taught anyone to speak..

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 8:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi Mommy... Max didn't talk either at this age, he would say a couple words but not too many, but he was SO active that I think he was developing in other area's first. I think by 15 16 months he knew a lot of words but only we understood then and he would point and WHINE a lot! Then at 19 months its like a ilght went of! it was a crazy difference and now at 22 months he's talking 5 word or more sentances. I think we all get too worried about making sure they are talking by a certain age and people always make sure to remind you how THIER child was talking at this age so yours MUST be behind ... we have to stop listening to that.. at 14 months Its so normal for him not to be saying very much!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Is your doctor concerned? I know there is free testing available. My son didn't start yalking until he was 2 years - no gibberish either. My second son started at 18 months. I guess I am pretty relaxed about it becuase both boys have been pretty quiet. Apparently my husband was slow to talk too!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:00 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My nephew doesn't talk yet and he's 17 months. He won't say a word other than jibberish. He understands things really well and does signs, but no words. My sister is making an appt to see if the Dr is concerned.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 9:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Girl, don't worry my dd is 14 months old and doesn't say many words either. She says, Mama, Dada, baba, ball, I go, what's dat, see, bobo (pacifier), book....that's about it. I'm not concerned. Make sure you are reading to her everynight. A good book to start with is GoodNight Moon. My dd loves this and points and tries to say the words. Good luck!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• when u go to give him something like a cookie or drink or something MAKE him say it... if he doesnt say it put it back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• 14 months is still early my son is 21 months and didnt start talking til he was probably 16 months and then it was hard to understand at his 18 month check up he was saying between 15 and 20 words and the dr wasnt that worried because he does understand simple commands he does stuff when we tell him and pointsto stuff and everything now at 21 months he probably says between 20 and 40 words dont worry until the dr says to worry just be honest with the pediatrician they will probably give him til hes 2 I would read to him alot good luck
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Einstein didnt talk until he was 3yrs old! So, maybe you have a genius on your hands. However if you are trying to get him to advance I saw an infomercial about "MY BABY CAN READ" try that.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• well, my daughter is 2, and still wasn't really talking. At 26 months, I had her evaluated by Early Intervention, and they found her to be at an 18 month level for her speech developement. (average or above average for all other developement, go figure) Anyway, at that time she was only saying about 10 words or so, not all of them clearly. Soooo, I would say you shouldn't worry too much just yet. He still has time to learn to talk before you should be concerned. Even if he doesn't, and he would need speech therapy like my daughter, it really isn't a big deal. She has made so much improvement in speech, and is also learning sign language, which I think is awesome! Just wait, and if he still isn't talking by 2, talk to your doc. about it, he should be able to give you the number for E.I., which, by the way, is completely free. Good luck!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• READ READ READ!!! IS THE BEST WAY!!1I HAVE READ TO MY DD SINCE SHE WAS A NEWBORN AND AT 30 MTS SHE HAS THE VOCAB OF A 4 YR OLD. ALSO WHEN YOU AROUND THE HOUSE OR ANYWHERE NAME THINGS. SING SONGS THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:29 AM on Sep. 11, 2009