Swine Flu vaccine?

Is anyone out there going to give their child the swine flu vaccine? I am on the fence about the issue. It usually takes years to come out with a vaccine, and after a few months, low and behold, they have a vaccine. I just don't trust it. Does anyone have any opinions or information that can help me decide? My husband says that our son will NOT be getting the vaccine and that I shouldn't either. What does everyone think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I am with you. I am on fence about it as well. I think they need to do more research on the vaccine before we start giving it to our children. When my daughter went to get the seasonal flu shot this week our pediatrician said that they are recommending all children get it. I will wait and see but I am not sure what I want to do at this point.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My kids and I will not be getting the shot.. I think its TOO new and my kids are not test monkeys for them to poke and probe. My kids dont get the regular flu shot either. After they get the shot they can get the flu anyway.. BC whats IN the shot? THE FLU itself. POINTLESS if u ask me. THey dont know enough about it to be giving it out. the H1N1 flu is the samething as the regular flu. people die with the regular flu and some dont just like H1N1. i dont get y people are so worried about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• NO WAY... my children will NOT be used as an experiment. And niether will i. I am pregnant and it is recommended for "us" to get the shot too. It it too new for me. Just like i don't get my children the Hepatitis A vaccination. It is too new and don't really know the side effects and risks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i have read that the vaccine has been out since the 60,but they stoped giving it becouse it was found to be paralizing people.but supolesy they have been working on it.its recomende that infants as young as 5months anyone around or caring for infant and elderly get the shot.we might get the shot only becouse 2 kids had to leave school becouse they had it,and its to close to hoome,but im going to find out the side effects first
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:40 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No my children aren't getting it, it's too new. I'm not worried about it being unsafe really, just ineffective. If my children had Asthma or other issues that comprimises their immune system I would do it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:15 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• "It usually takes years to come out with a vaccine, and after a few months, low and behold, they have a vaccine."

Actually it doesn't take years to develop a vaccine.  The yearly flu shots that are offered are different each year based on what is thought to be the most dangerous and prevalent flu strains coming up for that flu season.  So it's not unusal to develop a flu vaccine quickly - it's done on a regular basis.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• "After they get the shot they can get the flu anyway.. BC whats IN the shot? THE FLU itself. POINTLESS if u ask me."

First there isn't just one "flu" but the vaccine is designed to protect against the most likey and the most dangerous strains of the flu. So it's possible to get a different strain of flu that is less dangerous. Of course if your child is exposed to the more dangerous strains, the vaccine will help prevent them from getting that strain or if they get it, it will probably be less severe. Hopefully your child won't be exposed or won't have a sever strain - but children are hospitalized and die from the flu! An estimated 100,000 hospitalizations and about 20,000 deaths occur each year from the flu or its complications
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• " have read that the vaccine has been out since the 60,but they stoped giving it becouse it was found to be paralizing people."

While not proven, there is a POSSIBLE link between between flu vaccination and an uncommon neurological disorder, Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS). GBS is usually caused by naturally acquired infections. So GBS could occur from actually getting the flu itself not just from vaccines. And the paralsis is not always permanent. The current swine flu vaccine is different than the one produced 30 years ago and flu vaccines produced since 1976 do not appear to have significantly raised the risks of GBS. If someone really is concerned, I'd recommend learning more about GBS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Anyone who is looking for an excuse not to get the swine flu vaccine will be able to come up with something. Hopefully people will take the time to look into the situation objectively - examine the real risks against the real benefits and make the decision that is best for them and their family. But when reasarching - beware of scare tactics and consipracy theories (on both sides). Be specific about your fears and ask questions/research them. Nothing is as scary as the idea that "something" could go wrong. "Something" can go wrong with everything - so investigate your fears and ask your doctor/peditrician so that you can make informed choices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My son isn't a guinea pig for new vaccines .. it's far too knew and to me the risks of him getting the shot is far greater than if he happens to get the swine flu. Besides, just getting the shot does not mean you won't get the virus.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2009