Where were you on 9/11/01? And what has changed in your life since then?

sarabear524

Asked by sarabear524 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was working at an OB/GYN office and looked out into the waiting room to see the terror unfold. Since then I met my husband, got married and have had 4 children. It's hard to believe all that's happened since then.
    sarabear524

Answer by sarabear524 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was working at Kmart at the time. I left work early, came home and was glued to the TV. Every year we visit the site of where the towers stood.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was in middle school. We had a bomb threat that morning, so no one knew what was going on until we got back inside after the school was cleared. I remember the teachers coming into each others classes, whispering.. I felt the panic vibe for sure. Next thing I know, kids are being picked up one by one by their parents. My mom and sister soon came and got me and told me what happened. I went home, watched the news and was devastated by what I was seeing; people jumping from the towers so they wouldnt burn alive was probably the most traumatizing thing.

Yes, it did change my life. From then on out I was no longer a selfish child who took life for granted. I treated everyday after that like it was my last and learned to LOVE life instead of hate it.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was 18 at the time and still at home.I was waiting for the people from the phone company to come and connect my new line before I went to work. I didnt know what was going on until I turned on the t.v and I just couldnt believe what I was seeing. I was in total shock...
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 9:40 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i slept all day that day. i heard about it that evening. i thought my husband had rented a movie and said it was real. i didnt believe him, i really thought he rented a movie, because to me, this seemed it would never happen! when he proved nothing was in the dvd player and after i made a few phone calls...then i realized..oh damn! it is real!

since then, i divorced him in 03, i am happily with my new husband and we now have 1 child and another on the way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was living in Los Angeles at the time. I was working nights so I was still in bed when it happened. My family is in CT (just an hour outside of NYC) and my father works in the City all the time. My phone rang and it was my mother and all she said was "ARE YOU OKAY!?!?!" I said "Yes" but I had no idea what was going on. She told me to turn on the TV and I saw the two towers smoking (the first one hadn't collapsed yet). It was absolutely horrible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

That day filled me with a renewed patriotism and love for all Americans. I realized then that we were all in this together. I get heated in debates still, but I always remember that the reason we all get so fired up is because of a shared love of country and I try never to forget it. That moment was a tragic and horrific day in American history, but I try not to forget the unity and compassion from all in the days following.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was out walking with my friend Kelli in MS for the last time, we were scheduled to move the next day to AL. My hubby was volunteering a house fire that day, and a fellow fireman was crushed and burned under the collapsed roof. It was hard to concentrate on anything with a big move, a job relocation, a badly hurt friend, and 9/11.
    Since then Kelli and I have parted ways, the fireman recovered but on disability the rest of his life, been relocated twice more since then and had another child.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• On 09/07/01 we PCSed to Germany. On 09/11/01 That morning we went to look at and sign for military housing. Because of the time difference we did not know what would happen at around 1pm our time, that morning. He dropped me off at the on post hotel around noon. I turned on the tv and was watching GMA. Some time after that IT happened. I was sitting there alone, in shock. In Germany it went crazy(the military). Posts closed(strict security). It was crazy.

Answer by louise2 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• In college. Got out of the class a little early and stop the by hall bath in my dorm. We keep a radio on and I remember just staring at the radio thinking, this must be some sick joke. So I went to my room and turned on the TV to see footage of the first plane hitting. Then watched live feed of the second. It was surreal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was in 7th grade in studyhall when it was happeneing and our SH teach turned on the tv for us to watch. My friends and I were laughing at something (NOT at the attacks, I was terrified but yet didn't realy understand what was going on) And the teacher started yelling at me saying your not going to find it funny when the presidents come for your 3 older brothers(she had them all too at one point) to go over to war and they will end up dying.. then you wont be laughing. I immediately started bawling and one of my older (she was a sophomore) friends came into the class to drop something off and came over when she saw I was crying to try and calm me down. I will never forget the FEAR she put in me for laughing at something with my friends. My mom was so mad. She had no right to do that. I have since, graduated, currently in college, married with a son. I love my life. And my brothrs are safe *Thank God*
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2009