Do you know and observe the porch-light rule?

When I was trick-or-treating, I was taught that if the porch light is on, you can knock because they are participating. If the light is off, you don't knock because they aren't participating. Last year, we moved to a new neighborhood. I sprained my ankle that afternoon and decided that I didn't want to deal with getting up and answering the door, so I left my light off and kept the living room lights off, too. And people knocked on the door. One mom told me that she had never heard of the porch-light rule.

So, do you know and observe the porch-light rule on Halloween?

May-20

Asked by May-20 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I thought every one knew and observed it. Strange.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i didn't even grow up trick-or-treating and i know the proch-light rule
    and my kids do too
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 9:42 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I thought that was a common rule. I know that we follow it.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i know it and do follow it.. thats y all sex offenders have to turn their lights off and stay in their house.. more parents should learn about that b4 letting their kids go out alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It pisses me off when people don't do that. My kids will go up, ring the door bell and the owner will get nasty with my kids. It's common knowledge
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:43 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yes, we don't go to doors with their porch light off.

Funny story, my friend bought all this candy for Halloween last year. Unfortunately, her porch light was broken, and she didn't know that people wouldn't come if the light was off. She was stuck with bags and bags of candy. lol
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:47 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yes we are aware of the porch-light "rule". I guess you can't expect everyone to know, but i think most people do.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I know it. Lights out, they don't care. But our main reason for following it was to stay in well lit areas.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If kids are out on their own I could see them not knowing this rule. Parents might have forgotten to tell them this.
    grouchymama

Answer by grouchymama at 9:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• ever go to a house with the light on and they turn ur kids down?? thats the stupidest thing ever! the should HAVE to give the kids something! ......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2009