making a shopping list

im feeding a family of 5 kids and 3 adults. sometimes 5 adults.. i have a lot of things on my list and meals that are cheap. Was just wonding if u have any cheap ideas that i can put down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Rice, potatoes, dried beans, oatmeal(not instance), top romin.

Answer by louise2 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't know how cheap it runs, but you can make stew with a couple of canned goods, it's great. All you need are (all canned) whole potatoes, whole carrots, whole onions, lesuer peas, whole tomatoes, and a package of stewing beef cubes. it cooks in the crockpot. To make it, you also need dry bread crumbs, a beef broth cube, salt pepper and minute tapioca and brown sugar. :-)
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Pasta is cheap and you can do all kinds of different things with it. Spaghetti is the obvious, but there are so many different shapes and all kinds of sauces you can use. I'm not much of a pasta-lover myself, but everyone here loves baked ziti, tuna noodle casserole, pasta carbonara, chow mein, etc. It can be used as pasta salad or in soups, too. Very versatile.

If you have any international markets (Asian, Mexican, etc.) they usually have a lot of things that are unique and cheap that you would pay 3 times as much for at a normal grocery store, including meat and produce.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 1:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i can't imagine feeding a family of that size, right now its just my husband and my son, soon it will be 4 of us, but we spend around 4-500 a month. Its not easy and i have no idea. I would say rice, and veggies. but usually cooking for a large crowd cost a lot
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 6:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Write out all meals and snacks before you make your list; you will spend less and have less waste. Here are some items I buy; send me a message offlist if you would like recipes or meal ideas
    Dried lentils
    Dried beans
    brown rice
    whole wheat pastas
    tofu
    frozen chopped spinach

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I go online for my local grocery store add before I go to the store, and make a menu off of that, for instance they had pork spare ribs for 99 cents a pound, and made them in the crock pot, they also have a lot ot buy one get one deals, fresh veggies and fruit that are in season are always a good deal, I can't believe you have so many mouths to feed! If you have an Aldi, they sometimes have good deals, but lots of times you can find name brand as cheap or with cupon.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009