Night Terrors!

DD will be 4 in a month. Lately, she has been crying in her sleep, a lot. She's not awake. I go in to find out what is wrong and she cries/whines, changes position, and stops. A few minutes later, she does it again. This happens 5-10 times in a row, and then she goes to sleep. It happens 1-2 times a night. If I can get an answer out of her as to what is wrong, it's pretty incoherent. Crazy things that make no sense. She is clearly asleep. Any ideas? I can't just leave her be because she shares a room with 2 year old DS, and I don't want her to wake him up.

Krysta622

Asked by Krysta622 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter had this. I thought she had a mental disorder. I called the doctors. They all said the same thing. At that age, they can't differentiate between reality and fantasy. Dreams are like TV to them. Real, not real. It will pass.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:08 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Both of my boys have gone through this...my oldest when he was 2/3...he'd TOTALLY freak out but be completely asleep (I'd sit by his bed and just cry b/c I couldn't do anything for him)...he has since outgrown it (he's five now, and talks in his sleep lol) my youngest is 2(almost 3) and we're going through it again...same thing, TOTALLY freaks out....they share a room and he has yet to really wake his brother (brother just mumbles "shhh" in his sleep )
    There really isn't anything you can do...and she will outgrow it....
    drewandian

Answer by drewandian at 11:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009