Night Terrors! (also in preschoolers)

DD will be 4 in a month. Lately, she has been crying in her sleep, a lot. She's not awake. I go in to find out what is wrong and she cries/whines, changes position, and stops. A few minutes later, she does it again. This happens 5-10 times in a row, and then she goes to sleep. It happens 1-2 times a night. If I can get an answer out of her as to what is wrong, it's pretty incoherent. Crazy things that make no sense. She is clearly asleep. Any ideas? I can't just leave her be because she shares a room with 2 year old DS, and I don't want her to wake him up.

Krysta622

Asked by Krysta622 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Our 6 yr old did this, this morning about an hour before he was to get up for school. He's done it since he was a baby. His pediatrician said not to wake him, check him, make sure he's ok and leave the room. He shares a room with his brother but he didn't wake him. You don't want to wake them, maybe once she's awake you can talk to her and ask her if she had a bad dream.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• when my son was two he started with them from time to time his dr said they were nightterrors. you just have to try to calm them when they have them talk soothingly.i dont know if you are a religious person but before bed i pray with my children and that helps......good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• She doesn't remember any of it once she's awake. I think she'd be ok if we just let her be, but I can't have her constantly waking her brother.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• does she watch any tv or anything that is scary, if so, stop it.... i really dont know but i have a 4 yr old and that would bother me!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• She does watch TV, but nothing that could scare her, at least I don't think anything that she watches would scare her. It does bother me. I wish I knew what to do to comfort her. We'll be going for her well visit soon, and I plan to bring it up to the pediatrician. I've mentioned it to the doctor I work with, a family practitioner, and she says as far as she knows, there isn't much you can do, and kids usually just grow out of it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009