Laying her down when she's drowsy isn't working...

... and it's driving me insane.

My 4 month old will not go to sleep unless she's being held and won't stay asleep very long once you do put her down if she even makes it past hitting the mattress.

I've tried laying her down when she's drowsy, when she's about to drift off, when she's awake but needs a nap and none of these things work. She just gets pissed off and screams until I go pick her up again.

I've tried letting her cry but going back in every couple of minutes to reassure her and give her back her binky. That just makes her more angry. She gets so worked up about being in her crib but I just can not spend all day holding her trying to get her to sleep or hoping she'll stay asleep.

I have a wrap but I tried doing housework with her in it and I just have way too much bending that I need to do to make it feasible, plus it get's hot quickly then we're both uncomfortable.

I'm at my wits end here, any advice?

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 10:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No I understand perfectly lol. Been there done that. It just takes consistnacy dear, this too shall pass
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Oh and she won't stay asleep for NAPS in the crib, for some reason we don't have a problem getting her to stay asleep in there at night. Go figure.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i had the same problem with my son. get a swing!!!! he loves it. he will sit in it and watch cartoons for hours, and he takes naps in it. its a life saver.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If you truly want her to sleep on her own, then putting her down when she's awake is one of the few tried and true methods. It can take a while, not all babies adjust to that easily. It took about a week or 2 with my son, and with my daughter it only took once lol. My daughter was the type of child that wanted to be held 24/7 and i'm not a baby wearing kind of mom, so it was shocking that it only took once for her to CIO. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• You'd think that lol. we have a swing and she hates it :( All I wanted with my first DD was a swing and now I have one and DD2 doesn't like it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:20 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I know we let our first DD CIO but she was older, like 8 months I believe and that was mostly because she was in an "I don't want to be held" phase. I'm having a much harder time with CIO with Lucy for some reason. I'm not against it by any stretch of the imagination it just doesn't feel right yet...or something... It's hard to explain.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:23 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• maybe you need to just let her CIO alittle bit. i dont put my son in the swing at night when we go to sleep, and when i put him in the crib, he usually crys too, if i let him just cry it out a little bit, he falls asleep usually. hes 3 and a half months old.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• just like the other mom said. get a swing and a bouncy seat. my daughter loved to sleep in a swing til about 6 months. the music on the swing helped her sleep while swinging. she had 2 different size graco swings. look at thrift stores. try the store once upon a child.
    http://www.ouac.com/locations.aspx
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think I may have forgotten how hard CIO really is. It's just so frustrating :(

Thanks ladies, I appreciate the help :) Maybe I'll try setting more of a schedule with her and laying her down sleepy or not at "nap times"
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:26 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• CIO is rough, and can take a day or week. My son was 8 months old and still getting up 3 to 4 times a night for nursing. I was exhausted! Finally on a Good Friday, when I didn't have to work the next day, I just made my mind up he was going to CIO. It took almost an hour for him to stop...but he has been sleeping through the night ever since. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009