I need help with a child that whines about everything.

My 2yr old son whines about everything. He isn't able to talk yet, so he whines.

I'm tired of him whining all day long. Any suggestions on how I can lessen the whining?

Thank You!

truely914

Asked by truely914 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i understand that he cant "talk" but he will understand when you tell him, "when you're ready to talk like a big boy you can ask me" even if its just noises and he points, at least its not whining. my 3 yr old SS has some speach issues, and not everything is words, but there's a definite difference between whining and trying to get his point across. kids all go through a whining stage. and the biggest thing is dont give him what he wants when he's whining, that will just encourage it more. if you want you may also be able to teach him some sign language to help him better communicate.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• AS SOON AS HE STARTS WHINNING, WALK AWAY AND SHOW HIM UR NOT GONNA LISTEN TO THAT! EVENTUALLY HE'LL REALIZE HE ISN'T GETTIN ANYTHING THAT WAY!! HE'LL FIND A NEW WAY MAY EVEN GET HIM TO START TALKIN!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 11:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My son whined ALL DAY too - recently about 2 weeks ago I just started putting him in his room when I knew he was literally whining JUST to whine... I would take him in there, Tell him whining is Icky and to come out when he's ALL DONE ( a statement I knew he knew the meaning of ) and I would reput him in there until he comes out and either points at what he wants or tells me what he want's. I had enough of it! he's so much better since I started that its insane.. I SO much enjoy my time with him now! It used to make me go in miserable funks because I felt like ALL he did wa swhine and cry and it made me feel like crap
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My daughter used to do that. Ask him to SHOW you what he wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• OK don't take this the wrong way but he's a mommy's boy. My kids do it when I'm around and stop when I'm not around. Don't give in as much. It's hard I know but it will calm down more and more.
    sarahbearbabyj

Answer by sarahbearbabyj at 1:14 AM on Sep. 12, 2009