When to stop swaddling?

My baby is 9 weeks old. He has been a pretty bad sleeper from the get go. So, I bought the miracle blanket, to start to swaddle him. I had previously been swaddling him in one with velcro, but he would bust out of it, and cry when he woke up. Last night, and yesterday, I swaddled him for his naps, and night time. He has never slept so sound, and for so long. He slept from 830p-330 am, and then from 5-830. (He was awake and talking in his crib, and ate). My dr. says he is too old to be swaddled, bc he can suffucate.(I was thinking yes with a regular swaddled blanket) The things I have read say to stop when he breaks out of it. Well, I don't know if they actually CAN break out of the miracle blanket. He seems secure, and doesn't cry when I swaddle him..on top of sleeping so well. At what pt should I really stop? Should I listen to the dr. or just let him be?

ashleybgarcia

Asked by ashleybgarcia at 10:31 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never swaddled because both of my babies hated it. They didn't like being restricted and would scream when swaddled. You just have to swaddle or not swaddle according to what your baby finds to be the most comfortable.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• We swaddled until my son didn't like it anymore (before that he HAD to be swaddled or he had a fit) we stopped around 5 months
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think he's fine being swaddled until he chooses not to anymore. Unless of course he's like fifteen...
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 11:00 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I just quit swaddling when they showed me that they were eager to move around.
    gimmeababy

Answer by gimmeababy at 11:07 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My son HATED to be swaddled. So that wasn't an option, now my daughter loved it. But I quit swaddling her after a few weeks of age
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My daughter is almost a month old, and we still swaddle her and she sleeps great! She has been busting out since she was born, but we still swaddle. I say keep doing it as long as he seems to like it.
    ColieByrd

Answer by ColieByrd at 11:43 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I personally never swaddled my kids, but if he is sleeping like that, I would continue until he doesn't like it - he will let you know.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would say to keep doing it so long as he's not complaining and it helps him sleep....do what works! :)
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 10:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• my son is almost 6m and he won't sleep with out being swaddled... we also buy the premade blankets with velcro and babies r us sells them up to 25 lbs so it must be ok...
    Chilosa

Answer by Chilosa at 11:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My baby is 4 months and I still swaddle her in favorite blankie every night. With my first I waited until she didn't like it anymore and I'll probably do the same this time.
    Mami918

Answer by Mami918 at 12:08 AM on Sep. 13, 2009