Are there certain days you don't make your child go to school?

Like 9/11 or 4/20 or anything like that. My son has to go to school on birthdays and stuff like that but on 9/11 and 4/20 I let him skip school maybe cause momma's paranoid!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• 4/20?? 9/11? ..... send ur kid to school!!! the dont want to bomb the schools. i was in school on 9/11... and what the hell does 4/20 have to do with anything??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Why 4/20 are you scared the pot smoking hippies will get him, or am I not making the connection with another disaster like 9/11?

But no, my kids are in school everyday they are NOT sick.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:37 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• 4/20 was when columbine happened and various other school shootings
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• OMG let the kid go to school... just bc that happened on 4/20 doesnt mean its goin to happen to his school that day.. for all u know columbine could happen at school on his bday never know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When he was younger & I could take him with me, I kept him home for High Holiday services so that he could attend the children's services. Now that he is older physically, but still young developmentally (he has disabilities), he is not able to attend the adult services (he's too disruptive) or the children's services (he's too big), so I let him go to school while I attend the adult services myself.

Other than that, unless he is sick, he goes to school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No, they go everyday unless they're sick. It's not healthy to teach your children to be as paranoid s you are.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No I don't worry about things like that. Really you can't. Disasters/tragedies happen all the time, a 10 car pile up on the freeway, plane crash, shootings. We never know when or where they will happen. I can not stop my live or my kids for the "just in case" moments that happen all over the world. Living a life of fear is not living at all, you get to focused on the what if's you forget about the now.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• he goes when ever he is not sick, dont want to teach him to be relaxed about days off school
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Seriously you might be giving International Pot Smoking Day a little too much thought. And I thought it was 4:20 not 4/20. As in 4:20 is the right time to smoke it. But since I don't dabble no need to dwell on it. There are times I keep my child home from school but it is because I can. If I want a special date with him, like going to the zoo for the day, then we go. He attends a private school so there really isn't a need for me to worry about excessive absenteeism. I explain why and we go. In grade school he will just have to make up work missed. But we also attend a very non traditional type of school where field trips are encouraged. And if I want to go on vacation with him during the school year we do.  School is important  but you can have important learning experiences outside the class.  And we can always bring "school" with us where ever we are.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• HA! When my daughter Cheyenne was in public school, (kindergarten) she was so far advancedthat I used to let her skip whenever she wanted!! YEAH!! she would walk up to her teacher and say, "P-O-P_C_O_R_N--that spells POOPCORN!!" or "T-R-A-M-P-O-L-I-N-E, THAT spells trampoline!!" Her teacher Mrs. Ziel, told me about this and said "My jaw just abut HIT the ground!"I had bought Cheyenne a little V-tech laptop, and she could type her own name, add subtract, read and spell very advanced words by the time she was 4 years old. The school contacted me about advancing Cheyenne to the 2nd grade when she was 5 years old, but her dad and i agreed that we didn't want her to be the little nerd that got made fun of, so we refused. She missed 54 days of kindergarten, in all AND still ACED it. So I'm not saying that's right for EVERY kid, I'm just saying that YEAH I let my kid skip when she didn't want to go, because she was advanced.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 10:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009