How did you house train your dog?

We have a nine week old Spring Spaniel and he's yet to be house trained. He cries when he has to poop so we take him outside and he does his business. We always leave him out there for at least ten minutes (usually more though) but the second he gets in the house he pees on the carpet.
Whenever he pees on the carpet we pick him up, set him down beside, point at it and say no, and then smack his butt. Then we take him right outside and let him stay out there for about ten minutes again. We've tried putting him in his kennel right after we come back inside but it doesn't help either.
We've been going on like this for about two weeks. He just doesn't seem to care that he's getting punished.
Any suggestions?

jennifercalling

Asked by jennifercalling at 10:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pets

• The whole, show them the mess and spank them doesn't work. First, we crate trained, so that is for nights, and anytime I couldn't be watching them. But, for what you described, as soon as the dog starts peeing, you say, "out" and pick them up, mid stream (they will stop peeing once they are picked up) and you put them back outside. Then praise her for peeing when she goes outside to do it.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:06 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• the reason the puppy doesnt mess in the crate is bc they wont go where they sleep. what we've always done (while its still nice out) is if possible let them be outside dogs most of the day. bring them in a couple times. they will get more comfortable going outside. if thats not possible, you have to basically treat them like a child. every so often (like hour) just take puppy outside for 10-15 minutes. when you find out how often they go, take them right b4 that time. say puppy only goes every 2 hours, then go outside every hour and 45 mins so you beat the pee lol. and you're already making progress if he whines to poop thats great. has the grass been wet when you go out? sometimes that freaks out puppies. as well as snow. so hopefully by winter he'll be comfy going outside.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• First of all 9 weeks is very young and he won't be able to hold it for a few months at least. When you put him outside you need to be out there with him to make sure he is going. When you see him pee in the grass tell him good boy and give him a treat. That will reinforce the good behavior. If he does not go potty outside bring him in and put him in the crate. Wait 15-30 mins and go back out with him again. Whenever he is in the house have him on a long leash and attach it to your belt (that way you can always see him) if you don't do this put him in a crate. DO NOT take them to the pee on the floor and smack them. They do not understand what you are doing. If you catch him in the act of peeing on the floor shout no. (It scares them and they stop peeing) then immediatly take him out and praise him when he finishes outside. Please PM me if you have further questions.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• MY DOG POTTY TRAINED AT 3 MONTHS (GOT HIM WHEN HE WAS 4 WEEKS) I TOOK HIM OUTSIDE EACH HOUR (WHEN I WAS HOME) I ALSO BOUGHT THIS SPRAY FROM PETSMART THAT YOU SPRAY WHERE YOU WANT THE DOG POTTY, I USED IT EVERYTIME I TOOK HIM OUTSIDE AND ON HIS NEWSPAPER/POTTY PAD (I KEPT HIM IN THE BATHROOM WHILE I WAS AT WORK OR SLEEPING) IF I EVER CAUGHT HIM POTTYING I PICKED HIM UP IMMEDIATELY AND MADE A SHARP/LOUD NOISE AND PUT HIM EITHER IN THE GRASS OR ON THE NEWSPAPER/POTTY PAD (WHICHEVER WAS CLOSER).
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• ALSO, WHEN I TOOK HIM OUTSIDE I WOULD SAY "GO POTTY" AND SAY "GOOD BOY" AND PET HIM AFTER HE POTTIED IN THE GRASS.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• btw~dont punish your dog for pottying, that makes them think its bad to potty, they dont understand its bad to potty in the house
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• 1. I take him out every hour on the hour.
    2. I do stay outside with him every single time (we live in an apartment complex.)
    3. We don't use leashes. He comes when he's called.
    4. We give him a treat every time he tells us he needs to go out and when he goes outside.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 1:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• You do it the same way you would do it with a child (who you do not hit for accidents btw...)

Go outside with the dog. When he goes PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE. If he doesnt pee he goes into the kennel for 10 minutes then you both go back outside. Repeat until he pees and praise like crazy.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 2:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Wow, people are still hitting their dogs?
    If you get caught, you can face charges. Yes, people do actually get in trouble for that!
    Goodness..

Actually, inthe beginning she was an outside dog. We wanted to make her an indoor dog and I guess since she was used to going outside, inside was just weird for her. She has never had an accident (EXCEPT for when she was a pup)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Also, be careful with crate training. Some people with good intentions over do it and it can turn abusive. You do not want to leave your pet in a crate longer in hours than it is in months (2 month old, 2 hours). Some people think the crate works magic, but as with anything, it still takes a lot of motivation and hard work on YOUR part. Remember, if your pet has time to have an accident, it is NOT their fault. Its yours :-)
    Locking them up for hours on end is unfair. They can not hold their bladders or bowels for too long and it is unfair to expect them to do so. They WILL use it as a bathroom if you give them no other choice, whether they sleep there or not. After an accident, letting them sit in the crate is not only abusive, but contributing to more potty issues.

So, the crate can work, but you have to use it the right way. Use it for POSITIVE. Not punishment .
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009