Switching to a sippy cup advice?

ok Mark jr is almosy 8 months old and wants nothing to do with the sippy cup i have tried several different kinds and have been working with him for the past 2 months and he wants NOTHING to do with them i even resorted to putting juice in the cup and he still doewsn't want it. he will chew on the spout for a few minutes and then scream like crazy untill he gets a bottle no matter what i do.

any adivce on switching him to a sippy cup?

MarksMommy09

Asked by MarksMommy09 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't make it a cup or bottle thing. You're teaching him that if he cries he can get a bottle - which might make it so much worse when you actually need to switch.
    Give him a sippy cup at a time he doesn't normally have a bottle, introduce it as a "in addition to" the bottle instead of as a substitute. Get him used to have the cup at times, and his bottle at others. THEN start substituting out the bottle.

Answer by missanc at 11:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• what bout a cup and straw? my dd drank from a straw at 8 months old she also wanted nothing to do with a sippy
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Get the ones with the soft nipple like Nuk or Nuby or try the ones with the soft straw.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• We started with my son around 6 months and he wanted nothing to do with it either until he was a year old.
    Just keeping letting him try it out and eventually he will take it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:58 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• my dd is 7 months...she loves the nuk learner cup and is getting better at it...she also loves drinkng out of a straw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Keep giving it to him. He hasn't figured out how to get the liquid out yet. Once he does, he'll like it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:03 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• also there is no reason a baby truly needs a sippy even.. i asked my pedi because mine preferred the straw and took to it, and she said to just skip the sippy then there is no need if she takes to the straw and they make no spill cups with a straw
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i just filled a fresh sippy cup with water each morrning and put it with my boys toys everyday, never forced it on him just left it in the room, he would play with it as a toy one day he just started to use it. Will he drink water from a bottle?(he may just not like water yet) Nuby is a brand of transition sippycup/bottle thing sells at walmart for like a buck fifty. serve him his morrning/evening milk in those, still feels like a bottle in his hands but the nipple is a good starting point. Can"t promas it will work but thats what i did.
    KittyCalais

Answer by KittyCalais at 1:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My DD is 5 months she loves the Nuby sippy cups that have the soft spout. Because they are soft like a bottle nipple. Try those.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 2:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009