Do you think it is inevitable that people become more conservative as they age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't really know. From my experience, that seems to be pretty common, but there are exceptions to every rule.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Only if they surround themselves with same minded people (I am not talking about political ideas alone). If we have an open mind and try new things I don't see us becoming more or less conservative in our thinking.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:08 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Nope. I think they become smarter and wiser. This is not the same as being conservative. I think they become more relaxed, and understand how so little has real importance (in the grand picture of things)
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:08 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My parents and inlaws are all Democrats, always have been and voted for Obama. Now, that Medicare cuts and care rationing is being discussed, they suddenly turned to the conservative edge, dropped their AARP and have joined conservative healthcare reform groups by mail. The fear ofDeath can make anyone do anything when they see it finally affects them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My mother has definately NOT! and my conservative Aunt has become more liberal due to her life experience. She is by NO MEANS a LIBERAL, but her views have changed a bit and she voted democrat for the first time in her life (she is 60)

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• They become more responsible, which in turn makes them more conservative. And as always, some people never grow up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Many do but no, we wouldn't have libs if it were.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When you are young, you want to help everyone. You do not understand why the government does not do more.
    Than as you get older you start to work hard to pay for your needs. Than you married have kids.
    Than you start to think, Hey i work hard for what I have and than you get angry when you see people on the news demanding the government pay for some their needs.
    Than that is when you become a conservative.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well what sucks is that having conservative beliefes is associated with being closed minded. I'm sorry but I know a lot of libers who are just as closed minded. I have gotten more conservative as i've gotten older yes, but in NO way shape or form does that mean that i'm close minded
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:23 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Here is a little story I heard:
    A young girl goes to collage and come home on her break and tells her dad. I have been working so hard to get A's in school that I thought I might not be able to visit. My room mate did not go visit her folks because she is failing some of her classes because she is always out with her friends parting it up and not studying.
    Than her dad tells her will you have all A's why not give her one of yours.? Her answer was HELL NO I WORK HARD TO GET THOSE GOOD GRADES. Than her dad answer Honey NOW you are Republican.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:30 AM on Sep. 11, 2009