How do you keep your children's home lunch warm?

My daughter took home lunch to school, and said it was cold by the time she went to eat it, which is around 11:30AM. I did warm it up real well. How many minutes do you guys warm it up to keep it warm enough?? I did place it in a thermos afterwards.

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• maybe instead of just warming it, make sure its real hot when it goes in the thermos. that way maybe it'll be warm by lunch time. have you tried one of those smaller hot/cold bags you can get at walmart i think? never tried them myself but maybe that'd help
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I nuke my son's spaghetti-o's for about a minute before putting into his thermos. I assume that they are still warm when he eats them but I don't really know. He's never said and I've never asked. Hmmmmm -- now you've got me wondering . . .
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I've been wondering this too. A friend of mine has a daughter that will cook chicken nuggets, wrap them in foil and have them for lunch at school (at 12:15)..she said they are warm when lunch comes. I figured I would try that, my son go home that day and he would have had my head if he could have!! ha ha ha He said they were cold. I heard there are little heater packs you can put in lunchboxes but I haven't found any.......looking forward to hearing other ideas as well.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• did you warm your thermos up? I walays nuke a coffee cup full of water to boiling and let it sit in the thermos while I warm up her lunch. My daughter has never complained of a cold lunch.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Thanks for the great suggestions!!
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If it's something you can wrap up in aluminum foil do that.. I used to take hot pockets , hot dogs and things like that to lunch often and I'd just wrap them in 2 layers of aluminum foil and put them in a ziploc bag. I wouldn't eat lunch until about 12-12:30 and my food was always still warm.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I use a stainless steel thermos for my son and before I put the hot food into it, I first pre-heat the thermos with boiling water, letting it set for about 10 minutes to allow the metal to absorb the heat from the water. Then I dry it out really quick and pour in the hot food. My son says his meals are the perfect eating temperature by the time he has lunch at 11:30 am.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Mine just do cold stuff, like leftovers, sandwiches, homemade lunchables with lunch meat, cheese and crackers or something of that nature. I've never sent a hot lunch with them. It just doesn't seem healthy to me. I'm too afraid bacteria will go nuts in a food that sits warm for hours on end. (It's probably just a weirdo thing for me, but that's how I see it! LOL)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009