how can I get my sister to do her share of the housework?

My sister just recently became my roommate and so I made it her job to keep the living room and her bedroom clean. I do the bathroom and my bedroom and my husband does the kitchen so its not like she is the only one. The problem is she waits until 10:00 pm to start doing it and only after I have nagged her about it for two or three hours. It only takes 10 or 15 mintues! And even then she does a crappy job. When we first moved into the apartment she was to lazy to really unpack her boxes and just pretty much threw them into her new closet. I am getting really fed up with this. Our downstairs neighbors are getting tired of her vacumming at 10 or 10:30. I certainly do not blame them!

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• some people are like that, i know i am i hate cleaning during the day and only do so if i have to. i prefer to clean at night, that way all the dirt from the day gets cleaned up and i can start each morning out fresh. if its that big of a deal switch jobs let her clean the bathroom cause theres nothing in there to make noise. otherwise if you need the rent money and cant kick her out then you either deal with the mess or clean it up youself. trust me i do see your side but i also see hers, why should she have to be forced on your schedule, thats how i would feel and i would be mad and i would do a half ass job or else i wouldn't do it at all, when the hubs nags at me about the dishes, i let them sit for 3-4 days just cause he pissed me off.
    STRAWBERRYRAIN

Answer by STRAWBERRYRAIN at 2:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Tell her to start or she's out. She is living with you, you can kick her butt out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• We need her rent money.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't nag her really, but I would ask her or tell her she needs to vacume at a more appropriate time, and that she needs to show you guys some respect if she's gonna live with you and show that she's a responsible person by helping out or that she can jsut live somwhere else and be a filthy pig.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Lock the vacuum up at night. I would also tell her about the neighbors and tell her if she can't make an equal effort then she has to go.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:29 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• We need her rent money.

Then if she's paying to help out, she is responsible for part of the apartment and in that she has the right to not do anything if she chooses.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If you want her to act like a grown-up you have to stop treating her like a child, why assign jobs you are all grown pick up after yourselves. You see that something needs to be clean then do it.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Than charge her more if you have to do her cleaning. That might make move her Butt.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Tell her you can't do it all by yourself and need some help and if not then she has to leave.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Jademom07, I am NOT living in a pigsty just because she is lazy.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2009