Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lowering child support?

so my bf pays child support...she gets more out of his checks than he does (idk if thats normal).. but he's seriously bringing home like $80 every two weeks. I JUST went back to work.. so we are BARELY making it by. His ex doesn't have to pay rent, she's got food stamps, her parents pay for everything for the kids. Would it be horrible to try and get the child support lowered? I was told that this can be done.. I understand she needs money for the kids too.. but that doesn't mean that we (or our new baby) has to suffer because of it.. right? I just get really PO'd when I see how much she gets while she sits at home on her fat behind, no job (got fired because it basically boils down to she is LAZY).. sorry there is a question meshed in there.. i had to vent a little too. =)


Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (30)
  • I agree that it's okay to ask for the review my ex has done it many times. I can understand both sides although they do not have a baby of their own.
    Children are expensive as you already know, food, diapers, clothes, insurance and doctor dentist bills, accessories, then paying the bills and still trying to have enough to care of yourself a lil bit.
    If his ex's parents pay for somethings that is their choice but does not count as income for her. He needs to make sure BOTH his children are being taken care, it's hard not to be angry or jealous or get into the whole she got this and I gotta work for this I've been there.
    For the sake of the children try and be civil, share as much as you can, are you able to talk to her at all? Do they get along? Maybe to help you she could hand down some baby stuff after all your children have the same father... I hope things work out for you ALL. it's best not to fight and be enemies.

    Answer by janeenee at 12:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • He can ask for a modification. In Illinois if he is not making 20% more or less than they will not grant a modification.

    Answer by canthaveboys1 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • Hey! YES he can get it lowered. In alabma, he doesn't have to pay more than 40 % of what he brings home. I understand what you are going through. My husband pays a ton of child support while the BM sits at home on her lazy ass.. Getting child support from three different men and works part time at walmart 2 days a week. It can get changed and the sooner you do it the better. Hope it works out

    Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • Support is based on his income and her income, if she is not working and getting welfare, have it lowered.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • POSTER here..
    Don't assume wenona_mandy. his ex cheated on him with his bff.. so don't be a B. I am sorry about your situation.. he would love to be there every day for his kids.. but can't because she is a B. Next, I wasn't accusing YOU of not having a job..therefore that's GREAT that you support your child..this post however, is not about you. Im not saying that he shouldnt pay.. im saying that he has other kids to pay for as well. Why should the new baby suffer? Thanks for being rotten and making me feel even more upset about this. I appreciate it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • I understand she needs money for the kids too.. but that doesn't mean that we (or our new baby) has to suffer because of it..

    You need to get a job no reason the first child should get less than what daddy owes because he knocked someone else up.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • I knew that you'd get women like that posting crap.. Oh he had a baby first.. Get over it new girl.. All because they are bitter at their own situations. I'm sorry! Seriously, go to child services and tell them the deal.. I don't know how much he makes or anything, but it absolutely can get lowered if he only brings home a little each month.

    Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • My ex husbands ex complains about me on Cafemom over child support and the fact I don't work. Funny thing is she doesn't tell the whole truth she is just bitter because she married a wealthy man and he willingly gives half his income to the mother of his 5 kids. So she has to live on less. She complains they are barely making it but they are doing very well own three homes. So forgive me if I don't believe

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • he can try and lower it... I'm a single mom and try to get support from my ex i have 2 kids. I know every situation if different I know of some women who don't "need" the support necessarily but he has to pay something. I would think it's her parents choice to pay if they want. Mine do, they help me out allot and it's not b/c i'm lazy it's because raising 2 kids on your own is really tough and expensive. there is allot more to pay for with kids. And all that support doesn't go to her some goes to the state... if she gets food stamps she probably also gets somekind of ins? the STATE pays for all that... and if she getting child support she is NOT recieving as much FS, sometimes I only get like 60 bucks worth of FS not enough to pay for kids to eat for a month. that's where the CS comes in... to help pay bills and for food and for daycare if needed. Don't be to hard on her cus you might be in her shoes one day ...

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2009


    anon 1052
    I DO have a job. Can you not read? I said I JUST went back to work.. I was on maternity leave for crying out loud.
    You know I love this website because I usually get decent answers.. bitter people like you shouldn't bother with this website. Grow up.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2009