Harry Reid made this statement last night - did you know it was true? But guess WHY it's true?

With all the debate about a health care reform bill (regardless of which one) Harry Reid said that the reason the Public Option is absolutely necessary is 1. because insurance companies should have competition (but they're not allowed to compete with each other) and 2. That Americans need some type of recourse when they've been done wrong and that currently you cannot sue your insurance company if they drop you or refuse to cover necessary procedures.

It is true. In 1999 the House passed a bill that would allow you to sue your insurance company if they dropped you or denied you necessary coverage (see H.R. 2723 ) BUT the Senate destroyed your right to sue (see S. 1344)

I've said this from the beginning; it's time we clean house with these senators - all of them.

Deregulate Interstate Competition. Reinstate patients rights against insurance companies - and two of the problems will take care of themselves.
You agree?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 12:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I totally say we need to open up the borders and let people get health insurance from what ever state they choose. I use to be a Admin Assistant, and we live in Washington right next to Oregon and I had to do some research for health insurance for our office. I found out that Washington State had strict rules on who can offer health insurance here, and there were only a few companies to choose from. So basically they had a monopoly and could charge what ever they wanted. It was absurd.  Now I could have gotten way cheaper insurance, in Oregon, but of course they don't cover Washington residents.   So your stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yes, they need to open the borders. These elected officials are not looking out for our best interest. We need to remind them that they WORK FOR US and hold them more accountable.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Politicans are not working for the citizens. I wish more people would wake up...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Amen grly...this lady has awoken
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Agreed.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The system is set up exactly the way the Insurance companies want it. We have to eliminate corporate lobbying and corporate personhood. It doesn't matter who the elected officials are. The Insurance companies will bribe them to do their bidding.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 12:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• So--what ARE you going to do? Don't just come here and gripe and complain and say that the government does not make you happy. Get involved, write to your state representative and maybe even run for office.THEN you will be justified to complain. Until then,you are just taking up space and venting. I am sick of all the idle venting here. Don't you have kids to feed? Or SOMETHING? I guess you don't have to work? WHat a bunch of witches spelled with a "B". Oh, and before you reply, keep in mind that I am retired but I used to work hard in Banks and National companies and at home as a mother, and I was a Military wife. What do YOU do? LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Oh really high and mighty anon? Then whats with not owning that? hmm? I call bullshit!

and most of the ladies here ARE involved just because we all post here doesnt mean we must not be involved dumbarse.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Hey Anon @ :57--why are YOU on here bashing the rest of us? Don't YOU have something else to do?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Then momandvet, we need to get rid of the elected officials that are willing to take the bribe. The elected officials would be just as guilty as the Insurance companies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009