I think my little one is sick :( any advice?

My poor dd, who is 3 weeks old today, has had really runny poo for about a week.. and she goes about 8-10 times a day. It smells really bad, you can almost tell she's sick by the way it smells. Its also caused her to have a horrible diaper rash that is bleeding...

My mother in law has had some kind of stomach but for about 2 weeks now that has her going to the bathroom all the time, so I'm wondering if thats what my daughter has.. any advice for what I can do for her? Thinking I might call her doctor today.

Skye-Angel

Asked by Skye-Angel at 12:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him to see his pediatrician, for a sick visit, immediately!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would at least call your pedi first. Explain whats going on and they will tell you whether or not she needs to see a doctor. Believe it or not 8-10 poopy diapers is normal for 3 weeks, and if she is formula fed that may explain the smell. I would immediately begintreating the diaper rash with maximum desitin or whatever you prefer for butt paste. If she has no other symptoms that concern you, I wouldn't worry about it. But do call your pedi, it couldn't hurt. Good luck!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yea, I have been using Desatin and A&D.. and neither are helping the rash. She is Breastfed about 75 % of the time and formula the other... But yea I think I will call the Pedi today and see what is going on.

Thanks guys :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When my dd was about that old she had kinda the same thing, turned out she was lactose intolerant, we switched her to soy (my milk had gone away) and she was fine in a couple of days.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009