Is avacado a good first food?

My daughter has been eating infant cereal for about a week and next week when she is 6 months old I would like to start introducing fruits and vegtables. Actually I wanted to introduce vegtables first so that she doestn't obtain a sweet tooth right off the bat, however a lot of suggestions say you should start with sweet potatoe as a first vegtable and that's sweet anyway, so I've been thinking about introducing the fruit avacado first. I've read from 3 different sources about when is ok for baby to eat it. (Mommy Made) 9 months, (Super Baby Food) 4 months, and a website (forget which one) 6 months. Which one is the right one? Is fresh, mashed avacado thinned with breastmilk ok to start my baby on? And this may sound like a dumb question, but I don't eat avacado, Avacado is less sweet than sweet potatoes or yams right?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 12:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its a great fruit! It isn't sweet but babys love it because it's so creamy (Im assuming lol)
    My daughter love love loves it. Its high in good fats, and easy to prepare!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My daughter loves avacado, but be sure it's ripe and definitely not spoiled. Accidentally I blonded one up for my DD and she was very sick! Avacado and bananas are her favorite!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• how do I know if it is spoiled????
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 12:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Avocado is a better first food than cereals even!!

For my little one i just cut it in slices and she gums them to mush. We skipped purees completely.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• You know its spoiled if it's like grey inside lol.
    It should just be green/yellowgreen
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 12:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I am raising my daughter on a vegetarian diet, so we love avacados! They are a great first food. Like bananas and such, they do not need to be cooked in order to mash them (indeed, they really should not be cooked), so they are easy to prepare.

A good, ripe avacado should have a dark green skin. It should be firm, but with a little give when you squeeze it. The inner flesh should be a bright greenish-yellow.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2009