WANTS HER LIGHT ON ALL NIGHT LONG

MY DAUGHTER HAS HAD HER LIGHT ON ALL NIGHT FOR OVER A YEAR NOW AND I TRIED A NIGHT LIGHT AND SHE DOESNT LIKE IT AND SAYS ITS NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH... WE ARE EXPECTING AND THE BABY IS GOING TO SLEEP IN HER ROOM WHEN HE IS BIGGER BUT WE WANT TO BREAK HER FROM HAVING THE LIGHT ON ALL NIGHT... WE HAVE TURNED THE LIGHT OFF WHEN SHE IS ASLLEP AND SHE WAKES UP ABOUT A HR LATER SCREAMING THAT ITS DARK AND SHE HAS ALSO WOKEN UP AND TURNED IT ON HER SELF.... I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE....PLEASE HELP.. THANKS

BRIELLE649

Asked by BRIELLE649 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let her be. I was extremely scared of the dark when i was little. My mom tried all kinds of things to transition me into sleeping in the dark. I was scared out of my mind and i would never sleep and to be honest i think that's the reason it went on so long. This went on until i was well into my teens. If she's really scared there's nothing you can do to ease her into sleeping in the dark. Just let her be and she'll let you know when she's ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• have you tried the LED night lights..they are bright and you can buy a couple or three or more and plug them in...they have an auto and it's what I use around our house...really does a great job
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 12:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Take her to the store and let her pick out a cool flashlight. I used to be terrified of the dark (still dont like it LOL) and that's what my parents finally did and it worked for me. I just kept my flashlight by me the whole night.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Maybe you could get her a cute bedside lamp that she can leave on and find the lowest wattage bulb possible. Let her help pick out the lamp, that way it is something she really likes.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• well with my oldest i was in the same situation last year and what i did was well my girl is really girly and i got her a princess flashlight and told her to put it on when she is scared and stuff now she does't need it at all i made it something fun
    MizzDomino

Answer by MizzDomino at 8:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• you can try one of these two things !. leave her doo half open and leave the hall way light on for her until she falls asleep.or 2 . buy her a night light. they're not too brght.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If the issue is the baby having a light on then why not just room in for a while with the new addition to give your older child a little more time to adjust? night light and dark fears are very common at this age. It may also be for attention. You said you are expecting. Does she know the baby is supposed to stay in with her? Maybe she feels 'moved in on' I know my older son went through that when my younger son was born. He spent 5 months telling me that there was a monster under the crib we set up in there. So when I got pregnant with my youngest daughter. (I also have an older) I never set the crib up in her room. We got a bassinet for our room and then once the baby was born we let them bond before doing the big move at 3 months of age.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 8:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have the same prob with my 3 year old son, thanks for the advice to me too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009