Allergies? Are we too dramatic?

I do understand that some people have very severe allergies that are life threatening. That being said I cannot help but feel most people are so dramatic when it comes to allergies. While growing up I never remember it being a problem. If someone was allergic to something they wouldn't eat it. Now, I feel if someone see's a snickers bar they go running for their life. I am not speaking about severe allergies, but rather the more common ones that are easily managed. Do you agree or disagree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Allergies are easier to manage these days because people are more aware of what to avoid. So what you're complaining about is the exact reason why it's so much easier to manage. You mention snickers so I am guessing you are referring to peanut allergies, am I correct? You realize peanut allergies is the most common and also can be the most severe food allergy. A person can have a mild reaction one day and then even a small exposure the next day can kill them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• But peanut allergies have been here for years. I do not want to make light of a severe allergy (or any allergy), but I cannot help but think some parents subconsciously want their children to have something wrong with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Food allergies are not something to push off. They are not something like a nasal allergy. They are not easily managed, because sometimes you don't know what is in something unlabled. Imagine having an egg allergy. I have to ask what is in every salad everyone makes. Sometimes it's very hard to enjoy a picnic. OMG and vaxing...that's a fun time right there...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Obviously you don't know anyone who has a severe allergy? To the point that if you eat the food (or even have exposure to anything prepped near or on a surface that the food has touched) then you either have to inject yourself with an epi pen and get to the dr right away or you risk your throat closing up and suffocating within a few minutes. Overly dramatic? Nope. My reality.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I am epi pen trained/cpr/first aid trained. Once again I am not discussing severe allergies. I understand more than you realize. I am not talking about that. I am talking about parents afraid to expose their child to different foods in fear they are allergic. I am talking about parents who want their child completely separated from children while eating because they are allergic when they eat something (not smell or touch). I'm talking about a panic when there shouldn't be one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was the child you are referring to my parents didn't want me to be around anyone eating anything containing peanut butter. At school they were always sure to keep me away from anyone who had a PB&J sandwich because whether you believe it or not food doesn't have to be smeared on something to contaminate it. Even as much as laying a PB&J sandwich down on the table and then me laying my sandwich down is contaminating MY sandwich and can cause a severe reaction.

You can never judge how severe a reaction will be. An allergic reaction can go from mild to severe within a matter of minutes. Each time you're exposed to something it can cause that reaction to be that much more severe. I was extremely cautious with my son, he didn't eat PB until he was almost 4 years old because yea I was afraid.. He's had enuogh problems and to me that PB sandwich isn't that important to risk his health.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't get why people feel the need to question anything a parent does with their own children. You do what you feel is best for your kids and let others do what they feel is best.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Then we would never ask questions. What is wrong with a question? Just because you do not like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked. Kaleb, thanks for responding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I guess it would be best to ask the person with the allergies how it affects their life. Personally, I have an allergic reaction to the sun and people that do not understand that seem to think that I am a bit dramatic about it. But I suppose that they would be too if 5 minutes of sunlight gives them a terrible rash and hives that lasts for a week needing three different medications.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Allergies are not subjective. There are various tests that clearly show the severity and management plans and exposure risks are decided based on those numbers. I've never known a parent to just decide to segregate their child needlessly.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009