What age is good to tell your kids there is no Santa?

I have 2 daughters, Chloe 8 and Ava 4. Both still believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. Chloe is home schooled now so there is really no peer pressure from her friends about these people not being real. Next year she will be back in school and at that time will be almost 9 years old. So I was wondering what age everyone else told their kids about the truth, how did you tell them, and how did they take it? And if I do tell my 8 year old the truth, do I make her go along with the lie for her 4 year old sister?

summertime1982

Asked by summertime1982 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids never asked, I let them believe until they didnt anymore....... My youngest still believes in the tooth fairy, she is 9. Of course, the older kids know its me, but they dont dare ruin it for her! They just seem to know, never had that "ruined" moment or anything, they were fine with figuring it out on their own. They pretty much just told me that they knew I was Santa and the toothfairy and I followed that with a "dont tell your sister" and that was that. As for other kids, I just tell them that not everyone believes in the same things and if they do believe, thats ok (heaven forbid we teach our children that being different is ok)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When they start asking questions. I asked my mom if Santa was real and she told me the truth. If you don't want to ruin it for your 4 year, just tell your 8 year old to go along with it for awhile for her sister's sake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well, my daughter figured it out, when my husband opened the closet and she saw presents with her name on them. She was 4.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I suggest not lying to them in the first place. We teach our kids it's wrong to lie but we think it's okay to lie to them about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. Something is wrong with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Birth.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 12:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• What a bunch of scrooges!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• lol anon 51

My mom didn't tell me, I figured it out when I was eight, and I'm glad she never told me.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My son has never known about "Santa" or any other imaginary thing.

My son knows that at Christmas time it's more about giving and less about receiving (Although he does receive some really awesome gifts).. I have taught him though that if someone believes in Santa he isn't to say otherwise.

Besides i've seen so many kids heartbroken when they realized Santa or the other "people" weren't real. Hell I remember my brother getting mad at my parents and running to me telling me my mom and dad was lying to me the whole time and Santa never existed. I was heartbroken and really lost some trust in my parents.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'm going to let mine figure it out on their own. I would never ruin that "magical" time for them.

I don't see it as lying. I see it as making their childhood fun. They get so excited about the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, and Santa. I don't remember when I found out they weren't real so it must not have been too traumatic for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• 'I suggest not lying to them in the first place. We teach our kids it's wrong to lie but we think it's okay to lie to them about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. Something is wrong with that."

Just wondering..... Do you tell your kids that Jesus' birthday is December 25th b/c you realize that's a lie, right? When the school teaches them that Columbus discovered America, do you tell them that's a lie? Or when someone says that Lincoln's goal with the civil war was to free the slaves, do you tell them that's not the truth? Or how about telling them that our country was founded by Christian men and our constitution is founded on that, that's a lie. I'm sure you go along with several lies all the time. It's a shame you won't let your kids have a magical time with their lives. We get so few.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2009