Details about C-sections???

Im going to be getting a c-section, I was wondering how you keep it clean and from getting infected..Also how long do you stay in the hospital for and how long does it take to heal...and when do you take the stitches or staples out?

-THANKS

skin172

Asked by skin172 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You just shower like normal, you don't have to do anything special to the incision. How long you are in the hospital depends on you and how things go. I was in for 4 days after my first which was an emergency, 3 days for my second which was planned and went very well and 5 days for my 3rd because I had pneumonia when I went in and they wanted to keep an eye on my dd and myself longer because of that. I would say after about 2 weeks you really start feeling more normal, some people heal faster than others though so, again that depends on you. If they use stitches it's usually the kind that dissolve on their own and I had my tape over that removed at my first post-op appointment a week after being released from the hospital. I had staples for two of them and they were removed after a couple of days before I left the hospital and they put the tape on there then and removed that at my first appointment with my doc after that.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i stayed in the hospital for 4 days, took my stitches out the day i left the hospital. it stopped really hurting after 2 or 3 weeks, but it still doesnt feel like its completley healed now. it hurts once in a while & it feels numb feeling if i touch it or something brushes on it. the doctor also fucked up my stitches, and the skin on the top part of my cut is like bigger then the bottom (its hard to explain), they said the only way i could fix it is with plastic surgery. the actual surgery, i didnt feel any pain, just alot of tugging and pulling and i felt nauses and i was shaking really bad but it took like 15 or 20 minutes and then as soon as they were done they gave me medicine that made me feel better. they tried to tell me not to eat after that, but i was so hungry so i didnt listen and i got mcdonalds and it was great and i was fine. GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Had a c-section with my son. . . section was done on Thursday (didn't feel anything but some tugging and pressure) and I was home Saturday afternoon. I had staples that they took out a few days later like on that tuesday and they put tape strips on the incision. I was told to let the tape come off naturally when I showered. I didn't do anything special to keep the incision clean. . . showered like usual but skipped using the wash cloth over it until the staples came out. ummm. . . it took a couple weeks to feel "normal" again. . .Oh a hint. . . hold a pillow to your stomach and roll to your side before getting up. . . makes life sooo much easier. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009