What can I give my three year old for a cold?

Poor Nate has been coughing a lot, has a slight fever, and I dunno what to give him. Last time he was sick it was Children's Tylenol, but since then they have changed the age to four. He is 37 lbs and his birthday is June 29th (if that matters).

dea121885

Asked by dea121885 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Health

• Call your doc. office and tell him the situation. tell them what you gave him before and ask what you can give him now. explain that you gave him this tylenol before, but the packaging changed and the age range is different and you wondered if it is still okay. They should be able to give you an answer. I know when i do they are pretty helpful about this stuff.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I buy infants medicine at walmart and I get the store brand and his pounds and age worked with it, I hope that made sense, my point is that medicine is safe for his age and pounds and it works great.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Just because the packaging changed, does not mean the dosage has changed. I'd say start with a half tsp of cold med for kids and see how it works in a few hours. My daughter was getting a full tsp of sudaphed/motrin combo for that age weight when she was 3. For Benadryl, it was 1/2 tsp.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have a 16 month old and everytime we visit my mom, he seems to come down with a cold and cough. I think maybe it's the change of weather from AZ to FL. I was raised on natural remedies, so I found a home remedy for cough syrup and it was a life saver due to the fact that they don't want you to use over the counter meds for babies.You take a medium sized onion and chop it as fine as you can, put it in a container with a top.Take honey and pour it over until you fully cover the onion, put the top on and stick it in the fridge overnite.Drain the honey onion mixture so that you collect the juices from the mixture and not the chopped pieces. I use the dropper that comes with the liquid childrens ibuprofen. I fill that up with that lil dropper all the way up with this mixture and give it to my son 3 times a day(morning,nap and bedtime) I also use Little Noses Stuffy Nose Kit and Vicks BabyRub.I even put babyrub on his feet w/socks
    Anonymous

• (Con't ) I hope this answer helps because I know how frustraing and upsetting it is when you hear your baby coughing so hard that they wake themselves up and they can't go back to sleep because they're in pain. You can also give them half a tsp mixture of honey and lemon to soothe their throat. Just make sure the honey that you're using is safe. Good luck and hope your lil ones feel better.
    Anonymous