why cant parents be parents?

Why can't parents be parents? People need to grow up and take responsibility for their kids. There is a difference between a night out and going out more than you're at home with your kids. Find joy and fun in your children, and if you can&...#039;t your selfish. I truly feel bad for some kids. Never knowing where they're going to be.. and getting bounced around from one sitter to the next.. all to "go out" =\

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree. I can't stand these girls (and guys alike) who spend more time out at the bar than they do with their kids. I know quite a few people that do this and I wonder why they even had kids in the first place. Their parents usually end up raising their kids because when they are home they're either sleeping or being a bitch to their kids because they're hungover and soon as 5pm rolls around they're right back out the door to the bar or club atleast 4 nights a week
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It's so sad. My heart breaks for these kids. I mean don't get me wrong, everyone needs time out. But when your kid is with sitters/grandparents/aunts more than they're with their own parents... something is wrong. And I don't mean if a parent has to work two jobs to make ends meet. I mean for bars adn such
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My mother watches my kids for me once a month for dh and I to have date nights. Nothing wrong with that! But I do have friends that leave their kids with who ever every weekend, all weekend so they can party! Very sad! Then they wonder why their kids are disrespectful, naughty, wild and in need of attention!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I feel very sad for those kids, it just makes my heart break.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't know too many who are like that, but I do know a couple and it's really sad. Those poor kids have no stability in their lives at all.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Growing up, my friend has 4 brothers and sisters. Being the olders, her mom often left her to tend to the kids. So she never had a life. She was always the one home with the kids while hte mom was out partying. I never could understand doing that. Why have kids if you are going to pawn them off on someone else *all the time*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• date night once a month....aahhh, that would be lovely. We aim for that, but we also take our son to grandma's house overnight, for him that's a big treat too. We're always doing family things with both of our parents though, so we don't go "out" much. We prefer having cookouts w/ family.

I can't stand it when parents are partiers, instead of parents. I taught a kid once whose mother would pick him up from school, only to drop him off at a sitters every night, so she could go out and party. She lost custody thank goodness. The child had a lot of "uncles" that were spending the night (a lot!).

And then there are a couple who i, was, friends with. They took their kids to grandparents every single weekend from friday to monday morning, so they could throw parties, go to parties, just go chase around town, and even just stay home alone. I get wanting a break, but every single weekend since their kids were toddlers?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• why do u care? life is too short to worry about what everyone else is doing, get a life and you will find u wont have enuf time to worry about others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't know who you are referring to, but I figure you must know someone who is like that. If you see that occuring maybe you should try to make them see the error of their ways. The only thing we can do as parents is try to lead by example.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I applaud parents who can do things for themselves that they take pleasure in activities that have nothing to do with being a parent. I have a child, true. I am also my own person and deserve time for me. That doesn't make me selfish. That makes me a better mom for taking a personal time out to recharge. It also makes me healthy. And if in those adventures and chances I get to be free from kids I happen to go with the ladies to a dance club....fun for me. I know you are talking about parents who appear to chronically go out and "party." But I also find that there are way too many judgemental people on here who think their own shit doesn't stink so they can pick on someone else who is less than them. Get off the computer and enjoy your kids...stop being selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009