Heartworm and Frontline

If you live in a climate with four distinct seasons(we're in Zone 5).. do you have to give your dogs Heartworm tablets and Frontline year round?? I have been doing it May-October.. but the vet says all year.. I'm wondering if it's just a money thing..

Mommy2aQT

Asked by Mommy2aQT at 1:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I don't give Frontline in the late fall thru winter as I don't see fleas but I do give heartworm year round. Illinois here
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'd give the heartworm year around. The treatments are really expensive if they get it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i would give it year round in your zone. fleas like warm days so they can and do pop up in the middle of winter in lots of places. and with the Heartgard, if you don't give it year round and they end up getting heartworm disease, the guarantee is void- as with the Frontline. (the guarantee is that the company will pay to have your pet treated if you buy both products from your vet [because their records are proof, not like petmeds] if they end up getting sick). plus, it's just best to stay in the habit of giving it every month.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2009