i am a single mother,i want to go on a date soon.what is the best time for someone new to meet your children,when do you let your date come to your home for the first time?(just playing it safe).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Relationships

• Be honest up front and let him know you have kids but I wouldn't have them come to the house and be around your kids until things are serious.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I want some advise on that too. its scary for me! my son is 5 months old and i haven't had more then a handful of nights to have adult fun.
    My intial thought was wait until u know what Your doing. make sure the guy isn't the type to go in and out of relations... some take the time to make sure He's ready to stick around until it's really over.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 5:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• After you have dated them for a few months or longer and you know or think the relationship is going somewhere would I introduce them to my kids. Be up front at first date thought. Don't hide the face you have kids. If he's interested he will understand you not bringing the kids into it from the start. You should feel comfortable in knowing the realtionship will progress further before the kids know him because kids take break-up much worse than adults.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Avoid it until you know the relationship is a serious one.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I agree....You shouldn't let your kids meet the person until you and your bf are completely serious. Mine now fiance didn't meet mine until we had been dating for quite a few months. So, stick to that b/c I've done the other and ended up hurting my kids. That SUCKS!
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 6:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Uuuughhh...be careful, depending on how old your children are. We went through this in the last year(mine are 9 and 7). It was tough. Though I waited 6 months it was still difficult as the kids felt as though they had to be faithful to their Dad. Now it has been almost a year and we are all very content. It worked out well but in the past I had introduced my kids to a bf a little too soon. Both the bf and the children were upset when it ended. Children get attached so fast..especially if the person you are dating is very nice to the children.
    Best of luck!
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 10:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My best friend is a single mom and a serial dater. Her son found it very confusing to meet moms "friends" and then not see them again when things did not go well in the relationship. The poor little guy was looking for a father fiqure because his dad was a real loser. He became attatched and then felt rejected. I think it is most helpful and healthy for little ones to only meet someone if that relationship is nearing a serious move like marriage. Little one's are fragile. good luck to ya!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You should wait until your serious. I was rasied by a single mom and we got close to them.
    Anonymous

• Well, like you I was a single mother. Then a guy asked me out. Before we went on our date, I warned him that I had a daughter. Surprisingly enough to me he didn't mind at all. He met her right after our first date (now that I think about it I was a little scared about how they would react around each other) But anyways, he's been the best thing that's happened to me and my daughter since before she was born. We've been dating for about three months now, just be careful. Good luck to you :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2008