New Mom Goes Home From Hospital With Wrong Baby!!!

Is that not crazy! They checked me and my son over and over and over evertime they brought him in and out. Its so scary this happened now a days. Has anyone ever had this fear? Did you think it could still happen?

The hospital says it happened last weekend, the mistake was discovered within an hour and the woman was quickly reunited with her own child.

STILL!! omgoodness

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• How can that still happen????
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The hospital where I delievered keeps the baby with the mom at all times unless they have serious conditions and have to go to NICU. Eitehr way, though, only the mom and dad (or whoever else the mom picks, grandma, aunt, whoever) is allowed to take the baby out of the room, and they have matching wristbands (baby and mom and dad/whoever) to make sure stuff like this doesnt happen.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was briefly worried about it (I also had really good drugs from the c section) but once they pointed out mine was the only boy and the other 4 babies there were girls, I figured the odds of a mix up were greatly reduced.

I wonder how big that hospital is. Where I had mine, we had matching wrist bands and he had two ankle bands, too. Plus where I was the baby stayed in your room with you unless you specifically requested otherwise. The only time you were apart was while they did tests.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Our hospital puts a wrist band on you when you get there to have the baby and as soon as the baby is out they put one on their ankle, there is a number on each that match and every time they bring the baby in to you or check on them they compare numbers to make sure they match so that can't happen. They don't let you leave without checking the numbers as well. On top of the that the baby has another one on the other ankle that sets off and alarm if you try to take them off that wing with it on so it would be very difficult for somebody to just go in there and randomly take a baby. I can't believe something like that still happens when there are so many things they can do to prevent it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• That's crazy! When I delivered my sons, wristbands were put on them, me and their dad right there in the delivery room. I was a little paranoid that something like that might happen but to actually have it happen nowadays?
    Anonymous

• yeah i know that the hospital im going to has this alarm wrist band that goes on the baby and to the mom and whoever else is there but i still worry that might happen
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The hospitals that I gave birth at did the same thing as Tiera12 said. As soon as the baby is born they clean him up and put on a matching wrist band, the same as mom and dad. And the babies usually stay in the room, unless they are in the NICU. This is just crazy.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yep they did the wrist band thing with both of mine and the civilian hospital checked the numbers 5 times before you left the hosiptal (different people, different parts of the discharge process), they also had a locked wing where you had to get permission to go in. Along with the fact that you could not carry a baby in the hallway, they had to either be in the carseat at discharge or in the bassinet when being transported.

At the military hospital, they had the same precautions except they had an alarm that went off if you left the wing with the baby.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• How would you NOT recognize that it isn't YOUR baby??? Maybe it's because I had a chance to spend a couple of days with mine in the hospital, but I would have known from looking at the baby if it wasn't mine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2009