What do you hate about a bottle of fingernail polish?

I am having to redesign a product I use every day for my basic design theory and methods class and choose to do a fingernail polish so i need to know what problems you would like to see fixed with this basic design.

Goldilocks716

Asked by Goldilocks716 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• easier way to get the brush in without flaying the bristles. a way to wipe off excess liquid without it all accumulating around the rim to bind the lid to it when it dries. shorter bristles so you can spread it easier without as much clean up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Why are all bottles shaped the same? Why do they get sticky and clumpy after a while? Why is the smell so strong? Why when you get it on something, it's impossible to get off? Why is it that glitter polish is almost imposible to remove from your nails? Hmmm...if I think of more I'll let you know.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I really don't like the ones with the thin round tops...they're really hard to open.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It would be great if you could make a child-proof lid, kind of like the tops of medicine bottles. I know I always try to keep them out of reach, but if they find one accidentally it could be not just messy, but also dangerous.
    tnz2229

Answer by tnz2229 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I like the old-school, longer, thinner handles when I'm trying to hold the brush and paint, but they're hard to open. Could you find a way to attach the top/handle other than screwing it on? Or make it in the shape of a triangular prism (not to be confused with a pyramid shape). That would keep it slim while providing a grip to open and hang onto. Speaking of grips, maybe a textured grip? Rubber outter layer on the handle, like a golf club grip? Maybe you could put something on the other end - like a built in tip to remove stray polish? I'd like a wider opening, too, but it can't be too wide or the brush handle will be too bulky.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 3:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Is it a bad idea to have the polish in round jar with the lid being the same diameter as the jar? Like your kids' paints? Then have the brush separate, maybe with a built-in notch or handle to hold the brush? Of course, then you have to develope a brush-cleaning solution, so not sure if that makes it more of a hassle.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 3:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Sometimes I've thought it would be nice to have a suction cup on the bottom of the nail polish bottle - cuz I'm a clutz. :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 3:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would love bigger wider brushes, so I don't have to make so many strokes to fill my nail, it's be easier to replace the brush in and out of the 'paint' ---- and I'd also like wider handles on the brush .... so that they are easier to hold onto while my other nails are wet still!
    I'd also like something that makes them slip proof on the bottom of the bottles --- the glass bottles are always so slippery on my tile countertops!
    PinkSodaPop

Answer by PinkSodaPop at 4:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'd like one that was easier to hold and got the polish on in one swipe.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• how about a nail polish "pen"? like a liquid eyeliner pen with bigger bristles?
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 11:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2009