What the heck is wrong with you?

Do you ever ask your kids what's wrong with them? Not when they're sick, but when they misbehave? My daughter is forever getting into things, and right after packing a bag to go out of town, I set it on the floor behind me, and went on to pack the next bag. Not 5 minutes later, I turned to put the second bag on the floor, and she was sitting there with the first bag completely empty, and a week's worth of nice neat clean folded clothes thrown on the floor! My response?
"What the heck it wrong with you!!!" To which DH got upset and told me to NEVER say that again, because there was NOTHING wrong with her.
Thoughts?

CuriousSarahM

Asked by CuriousSarahM at 1:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry, I know it is frustrating, but your little one seems very smart. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No, smart would have been to help pack the other bag, or better yet, take the packed bag (since it was full of her clothes) and load it in the car. lol
    CuriousSarahM

Answer by CuriousSarahM at 1:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yea, its hard to remember being that young. All we see is what the child has done and all the time we spent makng things nice and all the time spent fixing it. However, a kids has no idea how long mommy has worked. Instead they see an oppurtunity to explore. To work a zipper, to remove things and so on. I now its frustrating. I spend a lot of time picking up after my baby, but I try to remember that he is learning and growing. So take a deep breath and think of her sweetness.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• parents have said worse
    dad could have helped pack or repack with the child
    my bet is that you do more than your share when packing to go out of town
    or i could be way off base and you have one of those prefect husband that are more than willing to help with these chores and do it with a smile

i just picture my situation, my husband would not say this, nor would he help with all the packing, except to carry out to car, i do all the rest
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• childs age???
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• if my toddler did this, i would say wow, good job and kick myself in the butt for having it in her reach to unpack it

if my 9 year old did this hell yes i would ask her what is wrong with you
    but she can pack her own bag and pretty well too, i do check to make sure basica are in there but she does well

however i did ask her 9 and her brother 13 "what was wrong you two" this last tuesday they were extra naughty, it actually gave me a headache
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have asked my toddler, "What is wrong with you?!" more than once. She likes to scream at me, and I can't stand it, so I very FIRMLY say, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" And she actually normally stops.. Granted, she has never replied.. LOL, as a matter of fact, I think she thinks that it is funny, because she normally laughs. LOL
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Lol Anonymous, no, he didn't help with the original packing or the repacking of the bag, nor did he go out of town with us.

Boredmom44 She's 2.5, and I understand she's curious, but she knows better than to get into bags (mostly because she spent a long time getting in trouble for getting in my diaper bag) and after fighting her off the piles of clothes I had laid out on the bed (which later went into the bag) she just waited till I put the bag on the floor. Ugh It's a wonder any toddler mom has any hair left to pull out
    CuriousSarahM

Answer by CuriousSarahM at 2:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Tiera12, keep us updated whens he does answer! lol
    CuriousSarahM

Answer by CuriousSarahM at 2:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I ask my 7 & 8 year olds "What's wrong with you?" or "What are you thinking?"....but I never say it to my toddler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2009