I need advice about somthing my toddler is doing.

I'm wondering if something my Toddler is doing is normal or if I should bring it up at her doctors visit. It looks like my daughter is well.... how can I put it... I'll be blunt... we thought humping her toys. She would lay down with her hands holding a ball or any small toy looked like in that area and lift her legs pressing her self into the toy she gets sweaty when doing so. One day I decided to pay close attention and I felt where she was pushing, she is actually pushing on her lower abdomen and when I got her up her lower abdomen was red obviously from pushing the toy into it. She doesn't do it all of the time some days more than others I tell her to stop but as soon as I get her stopped she will find something else. Is this something to worry about? Somthing I should address with the doctor? Thank you in advance for any direction you can give me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A lot of little girls do this. It's normal, but almost always disturbing for the parents to discover. She probably accidentally discovered that it feels nice, and now continues to do it because it feels nice.

I was freaked out when I caught my daughter too. She was using a large Winnie The Pooh bear. She also works up a sweat. When I catch her I tell her to stop.

It was here on CafeMom that I discovered that lots of little girls do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would just check with the doc. Since it is on her tummy, maybe she is uncomfortable.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would, maybe something is bothering her and that brings comfort?

Another idea. Do you work out on a stability ball? Is she mimicing that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I do workout on a stability ball, But I workout before she gets up in the morning, nap time etc. I would NEVER get a workout in with her awake....lol. That was a good thought though and I really appreciate your response.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My niece does this with her pillow at bed time. The dr said it was normal and common, so now my SIL just tells her that if she is going to do that she has to go to her room and go to bed. So pretty much its just something she does before going to sleep. She didn't want to freak her out or make her think it was really bad, because it is just part of being a sexual being as all humans are.

I would still mention it to the pedi though just to make sure that is what she is doing and its not some kind of tummy trouble.
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I personally have not been in your shoes. However, I have read up on things like this to be prepared. I have three children under 6. As long as she is doing this in her room...privately and she is not hurting herself (or others) she is fine. I have read that if we tell our kids that it's "bad" that we could be giving them the wrong information about natural feelings. However, it never hurts to ask your dr. Good luck!
    proudmamaofash

Answer by proudmamaofash at 2:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yeah I agree with others it sounds pretty normal, but just to double check bring it up with the doc at the next visit. I personally wouldn't make a special trip just for this, but I would mention it and my child's next check up, or the next time I saw that dr.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i have been told by my friends that have girls that they have caught them 'humping' things often. its normal, but i have no idea how to handle it, sorry. i think my friend just told her daughter that she needed to go to her room to do that, but i would ask the dr whats the appropriate response. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009