Adults and Minors...

I am trying to find out what the laws are against an adult using physical violence against a minor...if that minor is on the adults property. Unless the adult is being attacked isnt it illegal to beat a child under 18 years old up...say a 15 year old is messing around in someones backyard, and when the adult says stop, that kid doesn't, the adult cannot go and instigate a fight, but would need to call the police.Can anyone inform me on this better or give me a link to laws like this. I live in michigan. Basically me and someone are arguing over this question, he says that it doesnt matter if its a minor if the minor is on his property.

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 2:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In the town I live in.. A 14 year old boy was shot and killed because he was in this mans home attempting to steal property. The man that shot him was not arrested because the minor was in his house. I don't know what the law actually is.. But I think if the minor is on someone else's property with intent to harm, then you can do something.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If a person "feels threaten" than it is okay.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It does matter. The kid better be getting violent so its self defense. And then you better hope in Michigan that they will accept a self defense plea.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• This is hypothetical, right? The adult didn't instigate the fight, the teen did by trespassing. Once the adult got to the teen, what did the teen do? This is where you will find the gray area. Courts are becoming more and more lenient when someone violates boundaries. We had a teen at my son's high school murdered during a home invasion this week. The burglars are suspected to be 14, 15, and 18. Being a teen doesn't hold much weight anymore. They will tried as adults, even the 14 year old - my son's age.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yes hypothetical. I know every situation is different. My stance was that of Carpy....if it is self defense like the kid has weapons or throws a punch, then a 40 year old man can certainly try to defend himself and property. But if a man is seeing kids fighting in the street, or in his backyard trying tosteal something and he goes out and instigates a fight with "children"....the adult would be in more trouble than the trespassing child. ....That is what I was arguing to someone that I thought the law was, and he said that if they are on your property it doesnt matter. I think it has to be more case specific than that.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 7:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Oh yes it does. Just being on the property is not and cannot be interpreted as threat. It may be rude, but it isn't a threat. There must be something that makes the man believe that his or his loved ones' lives are in imminent danger.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Great is there a way I can find that in writing? lol. A website perhaps? I cant seem to get anything on these types of laws when I search.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 7:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2009