The vet says my kittens are 6 month and wants to fix them now

we have an appointment for next week, but I am positive they are only 5 months. On the off chance the vet is wrong, will it hurt to fix the cats a month early?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 2:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pets

• i know how old they are because I know when they were born and when we got them. We got them at the end of May---they were born in April.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• you dont HAVE to do it then if you dont want to. I personally would wait a month or even 2. If the vet gets pissy about it I would find a new vet.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 2:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I doubt it would hurt them to be fixed a month early, but I'm not positive. Most rescues/shelters fix their animals as early as 8 wks.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The sooner the better. Some shelters around here will fix kittens at 10 weeks. It is not a problem to have them done at 5 months. You want them to be fixed before their first heat cycle b/c it will lessen the chances of cancer later down the road.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• OK, if it is safe to do it this early I will do it. I don't need anymore kittys running around. I thought they had to be 6 months. One of them is in heat and keeps peeing on my clothes. Lets get it done!
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• as long as any males already have both testicles descended, it doesn't matter. it's better to get it done as soon as possible if they are healthy enough.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• they are both girls if that matters
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• if one is in heat i would wait on her- it costs so much more money, and carries more risks because of all the extra blood flow. check with your vet to make sure she's in heat- if she's peeing on stuff that doesn't mean she's in heat, it could be another issue.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I will have to talk to my husband about more specifics, I think the reason we are waiting until next week is because the vet won't do the surgery while she is in heat . I could be wrong on that but that seems to be what I picked up when he was talking. As for the peeing he is also working on other reasons. such as a type of litter and how often to clean the box.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't know if cats are any different, but our dog got fixed at 12 weeks- I don't think there's a reason to wait until six months to spay a cat.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009