I might have to be induced....were you?

I just got back from my Dr's appointment and i was told that due to my baby being so big already, i might have to be induced when i reach 38 weeks....I'm currently 35 weeks.

She estimated my baby already weighing 6 pounds. Give or take a pound....

Was anyone here ever induced because of a big baby? How big was the baby and were you able to have it vaginally or c-section? Does inducing hurt?

This is my first baby. Any and info would be helpful...thanks.

Dazey18

Asked by Dazey18 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced a few days before my due date. My doc said it was because I wasn't dilated and my cervix wasn't soft enough. I found out later that he was going to the inauguration and (I think) he wanted me out of the hospital by the time he needed to leave. I was admitted into the hospital at 7pm and given cervidil at 8pm. The cervidil takes about 12 hours and the next morning I was in active labor. They also gave me pitocin which made my contractions very strong. Once I got my epidural, it wasn't so bad. I had an hour and a half of pushing(she was looking up instead of down) and had an episotomy. I think the episotomy was the worse part. I was in pain for the next 2 weeks and couldn't sit comfortably. All in all, it was an awful experience getting induced. Some people are really against it but it didn't bother me. I never had to worry about my water breaking in public. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was induced with both of my daughters at 39 weeks because of medical reasons. The first I will be honest hurt because my body was no where near ready. Plus my doctor waited forever to help me along by breaking my water so I couldnt get an epidural until later. This time around it was so much easier! My doctor broke my water as soon as he could. Then when I felt I was ready for the epidural I got it. Two completely different experiences. So It can go one way or another. Any labor is going to hurt but some is less than others. No one can tell you if it will hurt a lot or a little. Good Luck!
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 2:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Im 35 weeks also! I was told at 34 weeks and 4 days that my baby weights 6 pounds also my dr told me Im gonna be induced at 38 weeks ...this is my forth pregnancy I was induced with my last baby the contractions are more intense then going in to labor naturally I had the first 2 naturally no pain meds but with the third I couldnt take the pain I got an epidural to help me! GOOD LUCK TOO U!
    rissa1789

Answer by rissa1789 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would not choose induction unless you absolutely have to. You might be further along then you think, in which case you could go into labor before then anyways, your babies weight could balance out within the next few weeks and you could still very well end up with an average size baby. I am 5'2 and weigh around 140-150 pregnant and about 110 normally and I have yet to have a baby under 8 lbs. All 4 births were vaginal deliveries. You have a greater chance ending up with a c-section with Dr interference then you do from the size of your baby. I would just wait and see in a few weeks what the size of you baby is, if its under 10 lbs I personally would wait.

EarthMom6

Answer by EarthMom6 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• those guesses on size of baby are notoriously bad so watch out! if it were me, i would refuse the induction and go on to 42 weeks. induction introduces lots of risks to you and to your baby so i would only do it if i was absolutely sure the risks of staying pregnant were worse than the risks of induction. good luck :) check out the book "pushed" by last name Block, i can't remember first name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was induced..but just a day after my due date..so i was 40wks and a day...and my dd weighed 9LBS and 8OZ and 21inches...i was in labor for 14hrs but pushed for 6 mins and I had her vaginally. but every woman's pelvic is shaped different, some are big and some are small..doesnt matter how big you are. and I thought inducing hurt. I got my epidural at a 4 and it only worked for about 2hrs then it stopped working so i went thru my whole labor feeling everything. But everybody can take pain differently, i wish you the best of luck!!!
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Your doctor is an OB? This "recommendation" goes against his/her own organization's (ACOG) recommendations. I would question this perspective more.
    Because there is no way to know how big baby is until they're out, this sounds fishy.
    And~ many moms naturally birth very large babies, no big deal.

You can look into this more deeply-- many women end up with unnecessary cesareans because of a doctor's preference (not the baby's).

You are in charge of your own medical decisions and your doctor (a surgeon) is your paid consultant. You can hear out these suggestions and appreciate their bias.
    *If you asked a normal birth specialist you could get a very different response. !

(I have a lot of info about this, let me know if you'd like some.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• oh, yah.
    I never had ultrasounds or weight guesses or anything, I went into labor "cold" (not having a clue)
    and my (turned out to be) 10-pound baby came out too easily, slipped into my own hands (at 41 weeks).
    Such a lovely birth!! (*Not even a tear~ awesome!)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I was induced because my son was nine days late and they were worried about him being large and also about other problems that can occur with very late babies. I was induced on a Tuesday ( eight days late ) and I had my son the next day. I was in labor for 23 hours. They gave me cervidil ( which did hurt, it felt like it was scratching my cervix::only when they put it in and took it out though, not for the 12 hours in between ). Then I was given pitocin and that REALLY brought on the contractions. Yes they did hurt but it was not as bad as everybody made it out to be. Then I got an epidural and I was able to vaginally deliver my 9lb-8oz, 22-inch-long son with no pain whatsoever.
    My point is, childbirth is what you make of it. Don't let anybody scare you. Remember to close your eyes and breathe, it really does make all the difference. Good luck!!!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 2:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Pushed is by Jennifer Block. Good suggestion!

Here is some info I have about it:

What's a 'Pushed Birth'?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2009