How to disclipline my 2 1/2 year old girl....

I have three children...girl 6 1/2, boy 5, girl 2 1/2. So, I've been there done that when it comes to the terrible twos and for some reason my two year old right now has got me lost!!! She is different than my other two and she is throwing me curve balls with her behaviors and I'm not sure what is the correct way to discipline her at her age. Usually I can solve this on my own! lol She says mean words. She calls people "stupid". She calls me that as well as calling me a "mean mommy". She is an aggresive child...whether she is loving on you or upset with you it's drama and heartfelt. I have tried time out, spanking (really really against this since she is already aggresive), locking her in her room to "chill" and speaking softly and "child-like" to get her to calm down. Consistency is def a factor. I am a very busy mom...like many of us are. ANY advice you have to give will be helpful and appreciated! Thanks ladies!

proudmamaofash

Asked by proudmamaofash at 2:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think with kids like this, you can't give them an INCH or they will take 10 miles. I have a son like this. he's only 22 months. I remind myself to reward good behavior so I don't feel like I am always saying NO to him but if she calls you mean mommy, I would take her in her room and tell her it is NOT OK To talk to your Mommy like that. When she can say nice things, she can come out and say she's sorry, same with stupid or being a bully. I think she'll learn quick that type of behavior won't win points...speaking of points, you could do a reward chart for GOOD behavior? a certain amount of stars for good behavior a small trinket toy? IDK.. I am not there yet but good luck!~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I like the idea of rewarding the good behavior. When she helps out a sibling or mommy, uses nice words, goes a half hour without a meltdown she earns a star or sticker or point or whatever you decide. At school my son was hitting and kicking. I came up with the idea to set a timer for 10 minutes. Every time the timer went off if he had not kicked or hit he got to color in a square on a tower. When the tower was all colored in he won a prize (matchbox car for him) when we first started the timer was set every 10 minutes because thats how severe the behavior was. And it still took him over a week to color in the 12 square chart. Now 3 months later his timer gets set for 1 hour and he brings home a colored in chart almost every friday. He rarely hits or kicks and looks forward to his new car he knows he earned. Rewarding a child's positive behavior often has more impact then punishing the negative. Good luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• 1-2-3 magic is a great book for disciplining the ages 2-12 crowd. We use it in our home for our 2 and 5 year olds. Though the system is the same for both there are variations based on age. Like DD gets a time out and DS gets privileges taken away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have 2 girls a 4 yr old Nani and a almost 2 yr old Nis. Mt fam would say I am a very laid back mom. I have gotten into telling them they need to go to their room and relax including my 2 yr old. They go in their for however long they think they need to calm down. If they still are having issues then I ask them to go back again. When they are calmed down we talk it out. I am not againt spanking, or taking away toys. I know its hard to get results. I on occasion will take 1 toy away for a very bad behavioud and at the end of the month they are able to earn it back. Trial and error is all I can say.
    Kali_Mommy2_2

Answer by Kali_Mommy2_2 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009