Help! He's driving me crazy!

My son (12.5months) and I recently moved in with my boyfriend. I have all my son's toys unpacked and out for him to play with yet he only is interested in the things he cannot touch.. the big screen TV, XBox and games, stereo, DVDs, etc. I feel like I have tried everything to get him not to touch those things. I have picked him up and put him next to one of his toys and said, "that (object) isn't for babies.. you can play with this." and make it light up or make a sound. He plays with it for a couple seconds and goes right back to what he wasn't supposed to be touching. I've also tried scolding.. which obviously doesn't work with a 12 month old. I've tried holding him on my lap with a toy next to us to play but he struggles to get out of my lap so he can go back to touching, pulling, and climbing on the things he's not supposed to. I am starting to lose it. I don't know what else to do. I can't put anything out of his reach..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OP cont: There is limited floor space as well as limited storage for everything. I have as much blocked off from him as possible. I would normally take him outside to play but we moved to the desert and it's 100 degrees out, fire ants, and a bunch of stuff not good for him. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• can you say pak and play

unpack the playpen before anything else!
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well think about what he is touching can he really hurt it, an x-box cover is safe for him to play with and he can"t hurt it. He wants to touch and play with everything he can reach. Make him a gated room that is safe for him to expore, fill a box with household items cups spoons tuperwear, old cell phones, that old walkman ect and let him play with it. He just wants to play with the things we do. Anything you don"t want him to touch take it out of the room or put it in a cabnit. and the T.v let him touch it they clean off
    KittyCalais

Answer by KittyCalais at 2:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• if you have no playpen
    you must have extra cardboard boxes, let him explore these
    unpack some of the bigger boxes
    let him play in one while you quickly make a playhouse with the biggest, cut out a door with utility knife, windows that open and close, different size and shape holes, crayons or markers if he can use them, and he and color on it, maybe he will stay in it for awhile, put some of his toys in the box for him
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• boredmom, I don't have a pack and play. We flew in so I could only bring 3 suitcases with me. The problem with him touching the Xbox and such is that he CAN hurt it.. he doesn't only touch it.. he pushes it and pulls it. The DVDs he knows how to open, TVs he's never been allowed to touch. The fact that they clean off is besides the point. The TV is very expensive and not mine. Unfortunately we don't have any boxes for him to play with. My boyfriend has some but they are filled up with stuff he has yet to unpack. He's out of state right now so those won't get unpacked until the end of next week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Right now everything is new and exciting. He is exploring his new surroundings, this is all normal, just keep redirecting him, they do eventually get bored and the "stuff" becomes normal. You also need to decide what are absolute no-no's when it comes to touching and what really isn't the end of the world. Not everything around them can or should be off limits. Pick your battles.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I know its frustrating but he needs consistancy, he will probably touch it 100 times in a row before he gets that its not getting him anywhere when you take his hand of it. I didn't pick my son up and move him as he wanted to go right back to that spot but I let him look and each time he went for it, I would take his hand and say NO NO Max, No touch - over and over and over and over - he finally gave up - til later, then we did it over again. eventually he learned what NO meant and it got better and easier each time
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• time out time. not a long one, but a min or so to show him you really mean no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• you can buy a pack n play for very little money on craigslist

Answer by missanc at 3:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• call alocal appliance store, maybe they will drop off a huge refrigerator box for you if they are in the area, they just have to break them down anyways, or take an airconditioned drive to one of these stores, they will fit in your truck, when folded, if you have car. and driving will secure him, he may even take a nap, call stores first, they may have had recycle pick that day

good luck, i wish i was close by i would take him off your hands for a bit, i have 2 year old and of course we have not just moved in so child safe, moving with a little one not easy
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2009