Do you trick or treat with your toddler?

My daughter is 2 and I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around dragging her from house to house collecting candy that she won't eat. I was trying to think of something else to do with her maybe during the day but I'm coming up blank. What do you do??? Any ideas???

jpal0507

Asked by jpal0507 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We went to the mall and went store to store. It is so crowded though! That seems to be part of the fun though, watching all the other kids and critiquing costumes. Last year there was a dad dressed up as the man in the yellow hat and his baby was a monkey! It was so cute. We actually sat at the Starbucks for a while just to watch the people.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I know that my one year old is going to LOVE trick or treating. He loves when people make a fuss over him and being around other kids. So I am going to take him.
    You could take her to the mall (usually stores there pass out candy) and most churches have a kids carnival thing. Check online and type in your town name/community calendar. There's usually something going on.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• no i do this street trick or treat they do in my city(where all the stores give candy),he does a church thing and my inlaws took him on their street before ,but other than that no.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I took mine to the mall the last two years, the first year he lasted about 1/3 of teh stores before he was done, but he really liked the attention. Go a little bit after it starts so that the big surge of people has managed to already start.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I took my toddlers to our local Mall where the stores hand out candy. It was fun for them to see all the kids in cotumes. I felt safer than going from house to hours---and warmer too. I have 3 boys i have to take by myself so i have taken them there for the past 2 years. Our zoo also has things for children around halloween.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• At 1 and a half we stayed home and she gave out candy. This year, I think we're going to do a few houses for the fun of it then go home and pass out candy again. We have fun, we sit out with our neighbors and we all hang out outside.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I took my son all 3 years he's been alive. The first year we went out with my 4 year old sister at the time and he just sat in the stroller. I think I let him have one lick of a sucker and he had a blast seeing all the people. The 2nd year he was 21 months and I took him out and he lasted over an hour going from house to house. I let him have any of the candy he could physically eat, obviously not all in one sitting but anything he couldn't eat i gave away or had myself. Last year he couldn't wait to go out, he lasted the entire 2 hours and I had to literally drag him in the house because he didn't want to stop. He had more candy then he could physically carry and I ended up throwing most of it away because he doesn't eat much sweets, but he had a blast. He's already talking about what he wants to be this year and all the costumes he'll see. Your daughter might have fun going, even if she can't eat the candy.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If you aren't comfortable taking her out house to house there are usually alot of churches that do trunk or treats.. or your local mall. Things like that. My son was 19 months when we took him out his first time but we went to a few houses in his dad's grandparents neighborhood so they knew all the people. The last few years i've taken him to the mall & to my friend's church.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I took my son last year (18 months) to a few neighbors houses that we knew. After that, he helped give out the candy and had a blast! I plan to do the same this year.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I dressed them up. we went to family and friends. but that was it from then on they could stay in their costums and greet the trick ot treaters in theircostums. they had a ball. ps I did take them out early though like 5pm.and that was to the neighbors we now.only.so i guess i can say yes i sord of took them trick or treating.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009