Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should we do?

I've went to the emergency room because I was spotting.They did an ultrasound and said I was 6 wks.They called it a threatened abortion and said it might be due to stress and told me to followup with my doc.I did that and she wants me to have a DNC.She says her ultrasound shows us at 5 wks 4 days.The ultrasound tech said different machines,different computers cause variations in the results.My doctor swears my baby is not a viable pregnancy because there isn't a heartbeat yet and she says my pregnancy is regressing(getting smaller).My husband believes we should get a second opinion because we have had many conflicting reports from the emergency room and my doc and we don't want to be rushed into a hasty procedure.We basically don't want to give up on our baby yet but our doc is really pushing this on us.What should we do?Has anyone had a similar experience and everything turned out fine or should we just do what the doc wants?

Answer Question
 
barndogsgrl

Asked by barndogsgrl at 2:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 3 (16 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • i would get a second opinion
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • I haven't had a similar experience but I would say if you are not happy with your doc's response then a second opinion is needed before any decisions are made. . .
    chrissmom734

    Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • I would get a second opinion and maybe look into a new dr. I had a very obvious MC and my dr gave me the OPTION of a DnC. He said we could wait a couple weeks and see if it emptied out on its own if we wanted to. We decided to do it in the end, but that was more so I could move on the grieving process. if all you are having is spotting, go get another opinion.
    auroura

    Answer by auroura at 2:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • I spotted at 6 weeks. It was dark blood with very very faint pink blood. Lasted a week.
    With my first child, anyway. Not with this one. And my due date always varied by at least 5-7 days. I was supposed to be due Sept 1, then it was the 5th, then it was the 7th, then it was the 4th... *rolls eyes*
    It may be true with the different machines, I'm honestly not too sure.. I would definitely get a second opinion, if you're just not comfortable with the ones you've gotten so far.
    I did go on to have a normal pregnancy - however, I also wasn't told what you were told. About the regressing pregnancy.
    K_Sawyer

    Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • huge decision and outcome

    get a 2nd opinion and a 3rd if you feel you need to

    as long as your health is not in immediate danger, make sure as close to 100% as you can
    that this pregnancy is indeed a failed pregnancy

    do you have a close friend that is in the medical profession that you feel you could take in the room with you? if so, she could be a great comfort, as some healthcare people seem to forget that there are people behind every procedure. a friend who is in healthcare can also interpret some medical terms that can sometimes have a regular person hearing jibberish

    sorry for your situation
    boredmom44

    Answer by boredmom44 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • Now I could be wrong, but I thought a heartbeat isn't normally visible before 6 weeks anyway? So if you're only 5.5 weeks...why would she expect a heartbeat? And how would she know from one exam, and so early on, that the pregnancy is regressing? I'm not an expert, but none of that makes much sense to me. Definitely get a second opinion; get as many opinions as you like. This is no time to be rushing into anything.

    Oh, and I spotted off and on through the whole first trimester with my second pregnancy, starting at about 6 weeks, and I had a healthy full-term baby. Best of luck to you. :)
    DragonRiderMD

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • get a second opinion, this isnt something you can just give up on easily its your child and if there is ANY chance that this could be a healthy pregnancy you have to take it. Dont give up til you know for sure!! Update us and let us know how everything goes! I will pray for you and your sweet baby!
    Mikayla_lynn

    Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • I went to the ER at 6 weeks with sharp abdonial(sp?) pains. They saw her heartbeat clearly and strong, i would get a 2nd opinion, just to be sure.
    Froggy_girl1790

    Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

  • I would get a 2nd opinion and have your blood drawn a couple times 24 hours apart to see if your HCG level goes up or goes down. If it goes up like it should (doubles every 24-48 hours) then you are probably just fine. if it drops then I would assume it was a miscarriage.

    But... unless you are having horrible morning sickness that you want to get rid of, then there is no harm in waiting for your body to miscarry on its own. It will eventually happen and then you wont ever have to wonder if you took a baby that could have been fine

    I had a blighted ovum (empty sac) and was diagnosed at 6 week 2 days pregnant. I waited 2 weeks for my body to natural miscarry and when it didnt, I had a D&C
    Jaydin_Makenna

    Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN