food for wedding reception?

My sister is getting married in Oct. It is to much for her to have the reception catered so different people are going to help out and make food or bring things. What kinda of things did you have for your wedding reception, or know would be good. I would love any and all ideas I can get. She loves deviled eggs so I am already making them. Thought about making rice crispy treats into hearts and stuff and decorating them because that would be cheap. There is going to be around 100 people, please help me with some great cheap recipe ideas. Thanks in advance!

jroseh68

Asked by jroseh68 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• A veggie platter, cheese balls and crackers, fruit tray, chicken salad croissants, sausage balls, cocktail weenies, mini pigs in a blanket, mini sandwiches, mini quiche, or spinach dip in a bread bowl.

Some other ideas would be a soup bar, since it will be fall, have a few different soups with a few different bread baskets with rolls, bread, and biscuits available with butter.

For the center pieces I would get pumpkins, scoop out the centers fill half way with water and fill with fall flowers!!! Cheap and beautiful! And you can allow a few guests to take them home after wards...maybe to some that helped out! Beautiful decor and gifts!

Good Luck and I hope it is a beautiful wedding!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My grandmother hollowed a watermelon out and cut it like a basket then put melon balls(canelope, honey dew, water melon) in side of it and made a very decorative fruit salad.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Great Idea I was gonna do that, I would check out bettycrocker.com, it's not just desert. Campbell's.com, or campbell soup.com?
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Pinwheels you can make all different flavors and kinds and they are fancy-ish
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Thanks ladies for the great ideas... do you think the crispy treats are too childish?... I was thinking they might be that is why I kinda havent decided to it
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• For my wedding I got rolls and did ham and cheese sliced up for sandwiches. My mother already had a slicer for slicing so I was able to just buy normal precooked ham and slice it myself. A friend of mine did a dessert bar with icecream, cake, and pies that people brought and then had toppings for the icecream. It was really cheap to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't think crispy treats are too childish
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• What is she having for a main dish? Our wedding is May 8th. We're doing big pans of pasta with sauce.. likely red sauce with hamburger and sausage, then possibly pans with alfredo with chicken and broccoli. Then we'll have a simple salad with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber, cole slaw, and rolls with butter.

My Dad was just married last month, he had meat and cheese platters with rolls, potato salad, mac salad, pasta salad, pickles, fruit, veggies, and punch.
    VikkiMarie21

Answer by VikkiMarie21 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• In misourri the tradition is mostocolli, almond green beans, roast beef, chicken and salad that is what i will have at my reception. Hope that helps.
    lily7

Answer by lily7 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Thank you all so much.. ALL have had wonderful ideas. One reason I love this site is how helpful everyone can be thank you again ladies!
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2009